Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Oil-cooler on Vauxhall 16v

Marius

My engine-tuner just told me that it would be wise to install an oil-cooler with about 13-16 rows for my 220bhp 16 valve XE. Anyone experienced in that ? Is it better to install it behind or in front of the alloy radiator (hot air flow). Positioned in front it´ll raise the water-temp and installed behind it might not receive sufficient cool air. What do you think, guys ?

Marius do you have an oil temp gauge? (These are easy to fit) If so what sort of temp does it reach. If you do fit an oil cooler it would be a good idea to get one with a thermostat to ensure the oil reaches optimum temp. The best place would be to mount it in front of the rad. If you do fit one please could you let me know the results.

James

Edited by - James on 9 May 2000 22:44:15

Marius, an oil cooler is probably a good idea, but whether you install it in front or behind the radiator it will still impede the airflow and raise water temperature. I am considering removing mine and fitting an oil/water heat exchanger instead because my engine running temp is now 95C, albeit with a high ambient of 40C. Demon tweeks sell them and some are claimed to raise water temp by a few degrees in return for significant reductions in oil temperature. assumedly, they may also help in oil warm up if placed say in the heater circuit?? Does anyone have any experience with this type of cooler? From responses to other questions along the same lines you may also benefit more from a dry sump system.

Mike

I also had always water-temp around 90 C which looked little too high for me and I already do own the alloy radiator. I ordered now a 13row oil cooler even if I was recommended a 16row for that engine. But as I also fitted an extrenal dry-sump I think 13 rows will do. Hopefully....

I´ll let you know as soon as the 7 is barking again.