Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Pagid pad choices (again!)

Mike Bees

I know this subject has been pretty much done to death, but...

Pagid friction levels:

RS4-2 blue: 0.40u cold.

RS14 black: 0.44u cold.

RS15 grey: 0.50u cold.

The incremental cost between the above isn't great (compared to the total cost). So why do blues seem to be the 'preferred' choice (from searching Blatchat)? I'd prefer to reduce the pedal effort if possible, so why not go straight for the RS15 grey (apart from the fact that it's apparently not available for the stock rear caliper)?

Mike

Edited by - Mike Bees on 8 Jun 2005 09:59:53

I don't think the RS15's are available for the old style AP fronts either.

I've never noticed a problem with cold braking with the RS14's and I've been amazed at how long they seem to be lasting. I've not had the problems of fade or rediculous wear that I used to get with EBC pads. On paper, RS15's look even better, but they're when I last looked, they weren't available for my front calipers. I have standard Sierra rears too and it sounds like it's not available for these either. ☹️

think I am runnign the 15's (robG can confirm) and they are excellent as rob says superb from cold and not much afde if any over a long track day, even hot days on le sept last year made not much difference

I am running the newer superlight style brakes and larger master cylinder *thumbup*

Shame this wasn't posted yesterday as I had the Pagid leaflet in front of me then...

AFAI can remember, blues are popular partly because they are available in a huge range of shapes/applications (over 100 IIRC) and are road-legal - so they get into all kinds of machinery and work well.

14s and 15s are not, strictly, road legal for cars built after 1999 (again, IIRC) and are available in a much narrower shape/application range.

FWIW, Performance Braking sent me 15s for the front - and when I was contemplating a complete change for the std. clappers, recommended 15s at the front and 14 rear to maintain balance.

Project Scope-Creep is live...

Alcester Racing 7's Equipe - 🙆🏻

Alcester-Racing-Sevens.com

My RS15's started off really well and like everyone else they've lasted 3 years and still have 5mm of pad left but I have found they perform nowhere near as well now as they did when new, something to do with the high iron content maybe, even scuffing them up hasn't worked. I guess 3 years isn't bad though.

Anyone got any ideas on reviving dead pads?!I may bring them to Oulton for one last good kicking...

Mike

I've got RS14s on the front which Caterham supplied and fitted over 4 years ago to sort a brake balance problem, so they better be road legal *eek*

They've worked well for 4 years and are only now showing signs of going off rather than wearing out.

Roy

See willfly.net for more info.

If you don't spin you ain't trying *smile*

Happiness is knowing you have just a tad too much power *wink*

I do actually have the leaflet here- it was in my lappy bag.

I quote:

Regulation EC90 requires vehicles produced after September 1999 to be fitted with approved replacement brake pads which perform to a similar standard as the original parts. Because Pagid RS pads are designed for motorsport use they are not approved to Regulation EC90

IN this case (CC braking systems), fitting pagids shouldn't be a problem in either the letter or spirit of the law - but as with many things these days, I guess the potential market (road) isn't worth them jumping through the regulatory hoops to get certification.

Project Scope-Creep is live...

Alcester Racing 7's Equipe - 🙆🏻

Alcester-Racing-Sevens.com

There are several other factors to consider other than cold bite . The more expensive pagids the coefficient of friction increases as they get hot circa 700C, they also do not eat your discs and the friction material is more durable so if you can afford the RS 14 & 15 go for it.