Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Brake Bleed Problems ......

jh

What the heck is going on ?

This winter, I drained the entire brake system and had all the calipers serviced at an AP agent.

Now I am bleeding the system back up again and can't get a pedal.

I have large AP 4 pots on the front, and standard ford sliders on the rear.

Many moons ago Hyperion fitted an extra large master cylinder and proportioning valve. I have never ever had any problems bleeding the brakes and always have a strong pedal. I know it can be hard to remove air from a totally drained system, but I've been on this for hours with no sucess.

I seem to remember someone telling me that inside the master cylinder is a valve which functions in the event that one part of the circuit fails. Is this true ? If so, is there some special trick I am missing when bleeding the brakes with this master cylinder ?

Help !

It's driving me mad. I have haven't had a problem like this in 15 years of bleedeing brakes.

Thanks.

JAMES

James Hoseaon

dv8 motorsport

Hi James,

By "extra large master cylinder" do you mean the stock Caterham big-bore job? If so then there are no 'tricks' to bleeding it that I'm aware of, I've done mine from empty a number of times.

When you say you can't get a pedal, how bad is it - just a bit spongy? The rears can be a bit of a pig - it helps to yank the handbrake on & off as you bleed them.

Off at a bit of a tangent - do you use AP600? Do you have a stock? Could you sell me a 500ml bottle at Abingdon on Saturday? Just a long shot! I've used up my supply and the pedal's still a bit on the soft side.

Cheers,

Mike

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the advice.

Yes - we use 600 (in the Darrian, not the 7).

Yes I have stock.

Yes I can let you have some. Will have my Van with me with goodies on board.

Are you sprinting ? I haven't even looked at the entry.

Cheers.

JAMES

James Hoseaon

dv8 motorsport

*thumbup* I'd be very pleased to buy a bottle of AP600 from you, and buy you a bacon butty and a cup of tea.

I am sprinting. Got the car MOT'ed & taxed yesterday for the first time since 2003. I'm #49 (was 8th reserve but scraped in at the last minute). See you there!

Cheers,

Mike

Sometimes the pedal will be soft if you have got new pads and less than perfect disc surfaces. The flex in the pads is the reason. Had the same with me Volvo recently. Felt exacly like air. (I guess from your sig this is old hat)