Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

ANOTHER Apollo tank leak in the same place!!!

Weirdy

OK, I need advice here, I have just discovered the new apollo tank is leaking in the same place as the one I have had replaced by Hyperion in the past few months!!!

Now is this a design fault? Problems with the tank mounting? or a faulty Apollo tank?

What ever the cause, do I scream at Hyperion? They sorted out the last leak and I thought had fixed the problems? But I have also discovered they have NOT done some other little jobs on Minty I asked them too, my confidence is shot, my wallet is empty and my wife is surely gonna be out of patience? What do I do? The first tank lasted 12k miles, this one has done less than 600 miles!!!!!! Advice is needed here please.... Before I go mad at the wrong people for the wrong reasons to make myself feel right again.....

Weirdy

Its not the winning thats important, its the taking them apart.......

Mav

Less than 2 months old, the TOP big pipe side weld. When I asked at Hyperion about welding they said it wasn't worth it and replaced it with a new one? was this also duff advice? God I have spoken so highly and been so pleased with the service at Hyperion I can't belive my faith is so shaken.....

Weirdy

So anyone else had these sorts of problems or am I in a league of my own as usual?

I am gonna contact Hyperion Tomorrow and have a chat, I may even take Minty over to show them....

Thanks for the helpful comments so far, all adding to the armoury.....

Weirdy

This does happen occasionally, esp. when people do not support the tank correctly when fititng the oil lines to it, or use the joints to brace against when undoing the plug at the bottom.

As I say if it is new then complain like billyo to the garage...

Well I have been on the phone to them, Dave isn't thier and as he did the work they want me to talk to him, they seemed sorry and sympathetic, so lets hope they have a solution.....

Weirdy

If you try to weld it now it won't be right; the crack will be contaminated and even if loads of weld is built up around the outside, the stress raiser will still be there in the form of the original crack. Ally work hardens easily an' all.

Susser (welder)

Well I would have assumed it would be cleaned before hand?

But its nice to have an experts POV mate, cheers..

So replacement then...

Weirdy

Wierdy

The crack won't clean. Ally is lovely stuff to weld when it's clean. To do that the top take off would need to be removed completely, old weld removed, metal cleaned, (and I mean really clean, not nearly clean). Thass why it's easier to skip it.

As for cleaning ali tanks - if you have a crack oil can get in, I can get it clean - cleaner than you generally need - clean room clean!

Or rather, the machinery I design will . . . Even without ultrasonics, we can take an extrude ali can, straight from the die, so covered in soap and crap, pass it thro a machine and it'll come out clean enough for automatic laser welding - those of you driving injected tin tops fitted with OEM purolator fuel filters will have examples under your floor.

Ultrasonic aqueous cleaning used correctly will amaze those of you who haven't seen it properly done before.

Bri

Did I menbtion Ransohoff plc, Mr. Blakeman . . . ?

Oh bugger.

Well - it's not advertising, 'cos I think our gear is a little out of the average fettlers range - so for interest only:

www.ransohoff.co.uk

and have a look at products. Bit if any sevener wants something cleaning - cylinder heads for example, drop me an email and if we've got a suitable machine with a suitable detergent, which we normally have in our test area, I'd be happy to get to giv eit a go getting it cleaner inside and outside than you can with a power washer. Not just at the moment tho - getting it to me in Cincinnati might not be worth it! Should be back in mid July, but give me a chance to sleep for a week - jet lag after 3 months over here seems to take me ages to get over.

Bri

Can you clean my engine bay? Bulkheads and panels? All the Oil everywhere has made anasty grimmy gritty mess al over....

Weirdy

Well I have booked her in for Monday and They have a new Tank to fit and are going to throw the broken one back at Caterham.... :-) Looks ike its and alls well that ends well story....

I shall update later

Weirdy

Well its all sorted, they even bled the brakes, whether or not I am charged is yet to be resolved as they are waiting to here back from Caterham about the rejected bottle with the leak.

Went for a 40 mile potter, with some thilling moments again as the power band kicked in, this always reminds me of why I bought 'Minty' in the first place, the joy of just driving but having the power to overtake when you want, it also makes me realise how long I have been driving with a crack prior to noticing the excessive oil loss and engine bay mess!!!!!! 😳

So, back at the point I enjoy.. A fully operational Caterhams VHPD 😬

More news as it happens....

Weirdy

Edited by - Weirdy on 20 Jun 2005 20:28:48