Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Oil Seals for Vauxhall Dry Sump Eng

Dazza

I seem to have a fairly chronic oil leak problem. Engine oil leakes from between the crank and bell housing (only when engine running). I also seem to have gearbox oil leaking from the front of the gearbox and from around the speedo drive seal.

Obviously to fix all of this I will need to take the engine/gearbox out. When I do this I want to fix everything that I can. I already have a new clutch release bearing, a new exhaust gasket, a new rear oil seal for the crankshaft. My question is, what else do I need. I assume that you can buy from Caterham a front gearbox oil seal, a speedo drive seal and a rear gearbox oil seal.

Caterham suggested fitting a new slave cylinder which has been apparently improved over the years.

Any thoughts on the above?

Dazza,

The crank seal is unlikley to have failed, but the sealant used around the 5th main cap is the likely cause of the leak.

You can remove the rear cap and re-seal it, but be sure to use the Vauxhall oem sealant. Its critical to use plenty of sealant when you reassemble this part of the engine.

The release bearings have been revised since the early ones - if your car is pre-96 vintage this is worth doing.

When you remove the main cap you DO NOT have to change the bolts, despite what VX and Haynes say. Swindon do not replace these bolts.

The gearbox leak at the front is from the selector shaft, not the input shaft. Use the VX black sealant on the gasket here as well if you like. The 6 spd uses an O ring if you have a six speeder....

Also be aware the iron main casings on the 5 spd box commonly get hairline cracks which are near impossible to see - this could be your problem. Give the outside of the box casing a good clean with cellulose thinners while its out to confirm.

Fat Arn

The NOW PROVEN R500 Eaterid=red>

See the Lotus Seven Club 4 Counties Area Website hereid=green>

Thanks Arnie, Had not thought about the cap being the source of the leak. I have a replacement rear crank seal from Caterham, so between those two it should fix it. Is the Vauxhall OEM sealant that you refer to available from Caterham. As you can appreciate, readily available items in the UK may be completely unavailable here in Oz.

I have a new release bearing as my car is from June 1994.

You mentioned Haynes.... Is there a manual for the Vauxhall engined Caterhams, or is the manual your referring to for this particular engine as used in some Vauxhall cars. What I am wondering is, can you give me some sort of reference number or title to the Haynes manual that you find the most useful. Thanks!

I have a 6-speed, even though the car originally came with the 5 speed. Will order the O-ring.

Removing the engine and gearbox will be fun! It is a tight fit to say the least. Any tricks of the trade to removing it successfully without damaging the car, the enging/gearbox or the ancilliaries.

cheers

Dazza,

The sealent is a GM sealent and is listed in the Haynes Manual. Should be able to get if down under - does the XE not find its way into anything in the southern hemisphere?

Regarding removal, on a 94 car there is no option but to separate engine from bellhousing before removal.

You should also remove the alternator and exhaust. Inlet side should be OK except for removing the starter motor.

Fat Arn

The NOW PROVEN R500 Eaterid=red>

See the Lotus Seven Club 4 Counties Area Website hereid=green>

The only other point I would support is definatley changing the seals in the clutch slave cylinder. Because this bellhousing gets rather hot, it tends to help the seals detieriorate and eventually the clutch fluid leaks into the housing. You can just replace the seals (about 28UKP) or order a whole new cylinder for 60UKP.

Thanks for the advice guys. The only vehicle imported into Australia with the Vauxhall engine, that I am aware of, is the GM Holden Calibra. I don't think Astras were imported until recently, but will check. I shall order the manual and I am sure it will be of great help. Thanks!

I was under the impression that the engine and gearbox should be removed together, but separating them will be a lot easier.

Caterham also recommended replacing the slave cylinder and your explaination makes sense Captain. Certainly good preventive maintenance.

Will probably schedule this task in the new year.

Thanks again.