Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Springs for a VX

ian balson

I'm just about to fit some adjustable platforms, so I'm going to take the opportunity to change my front springs (unknown lbs).

I have a VX converted to wide track with the original springs, so was thinking along the lines of 300lbs?

The questions - Where is the best place to buy, and is the spring length measured relaxed? What's the inside diameter of choice, I believe you have options with the adjustable platforms.

Many thanks

Ian

Ian,

350lbs gives a good compromise in terms of stiffness to composure. If you have the std Bilsteins you need 1 7/8" ID springs.

To determine the length set the adj platform 1/2 way up along its range on the damper, fully extend the damper and measure the distance between.

Fat Arn

The NOW PROVEN R500 Eaterid=red>

See the Lotus Seven Club 4 Counties Area Website hereid=green>

Arnie,

I've got 3 or 4 grooves cut into the dampers. Currently the seat is set on the highest groove. So should I be looking to move the seat to a lower position, therefore requiring a longer spring? Is there any advantage having longer or shorter springs?

Thanks

Ian

I do use the adjustable Juno ARB.

The VX cars bottom out on 170lbs springs unless you raise the ride height excessively. I do not know what Alex has done to his car but it cannot be standard. This explains however why it does not understeer - as a compromise to high speed cornering....

Also Alex is running narrow track are you not?? The spring rates must be compensated for the change in damper angle, to give the same effect.

Also (without offending Alex!) his car possibly suffers less weight transfer due to his size holding the back down.....! (A fine thing coming form me I know!)

With the alloy adjustable platforms the circlip should be in the top groove.

Fat Arn

The NOW PROVEN R500 Eaterid=red>

See the Lotus Seven Club 4 Counties Area Website hereid=green>

Arnie,

My car is wide tracked. Dave Walker and Gordon are much lighter than me and they found the car handled just as I do. Front ARB is 19mm.

What is really strange is that the car doesn't feel all that much softer than say Roger's car which is on 300lb (I think) fronts and the same ARB.

The softer springs make for a less responsive and agile car, but superb high speed stability with very little understeer.

I keep thinking about going for 250lb springs but the handling works for me, or at least I've become used to it. I'd love to actually measure the springs to see if they really are that soft because the car works better than it should.

Alex

I run 360lb/in on my widetrack Vauxhall, also with Juno adjustable front bar.

I ran 300lb/in when it was narrow track, the springs need to be approx 10-20% stiffer for widetrack as the angle of dangle is lower. I got to 300lb/in via 260lb/in and definetly prefer the harder spring.