Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

INDICATORS

Seven in SA

Hello,

Also an electical problem but did not want to steal other thread.

My indicators work fine until I put the main lights on (dim). At this point they slow down but still work, when I put the main lights on full the indicators stop working. Sometimes they do come on but only with higher engine revs.

Is this just an earthing issue or should I look somewhere else?

Thank you

Nic

Earthing sounds like a good lead (groan)

If your alternator cannot get the juice through to your battery than a bunch of stuff may stop working like fan and cooling fan.

Would check earth strap from battery to bolt on bel housing. Undo, wire brush do up tight. Same with strap under dashboad left side which earthe the instruments and switches.

Also worth popping the three connector to the alternator and checking a) dirt and b) state of the solder/crimps as these wires tend to really hot under the headers and I've had one melt.

Could also I suppose be a duff alternator, local motor factor can probably test it for you.

Or it could be none of the above....teeth.gif

Sounds like an earthing problem. Check the front lights are earthing properly. It depends which lighting set up you have, but make sure the wiring is all ok between the front indicators and the repeaters if you have them. The lights and indicators on each side have a common earth, so check they all connect up ok, with nice clean joints, and the earth point to the chassis isn't corroded or covered in muck.

It's one of those wonderful problems which will probably go away at some point, and you'll never be quite sure what fixed it.

Good luck,

Dave H