Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

K-Series Oil Pressure

AlShack

My 1.6SS K-Series does not seem to have a lot of oil pressure. Even when left for a weekend, the oil pressure is just below the first line (2 bar?) when started up, and only moves (upwards, very slightly!), when the oil temp is up to 80 degrees.

I'm sure when I bought the car (a couple of weeks ago), the oil pressure was between 4 & 6 bar on start-up. I have checked the oil level and it is fine, and the oil/water tempertaures are also fine.

I'm a bit of a novice when it comes to these things, so any clues greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Al

Al,

How have you checked the oil level? Do you have an Anti Cavitation tank fitted?

Are you sure you don't have an oil leek?

Normally you would expect the oil pressue to go down as the car warms up.

T 1 PPB - Superlight

"Well yes officer I'm not arguing, it's just that [insert excuse here]..."

Brad

Yep, I have the Apollo anti-cav tank, and I've checked the oil level and all is okay. No leaks - the car is stored in a garage with cardboard matting & not a drop on there.

The only thing I can think is that perhaps I have knackered the oil pressure sender. Did I read somewhere that this is fitted at the bottom of the sump? I recently clonked my sump on my drive, which could have damaged it?

Cheers

Al

If you take a look from the front of the car (looking rearward underneath the nosecone), the sender unit is just to the right of the crankshaft pulley (with the alternator belt). It is angled at 45* from the front of the housing which has the oil filter, sandwich plate and pipes on it.

Take a look and see if it has had a blow. If so, it could easily be the cause of the 'so called' problem.

Std. start up oil pressure on a 'K' is 'normally' about 3.75 to 4 bar & with an warm idle about 2 to 2.5 bar.

I agree with Chris. My 1.6SS EU3 with anti cav is approx 4 bar at startup, dropping to just about 2 bar at idle & warm, rising to about 4 bar at anythig above 2500rpm.

If you have only had the car a few weeks, (and got it from a dealer) you should be able to get it replaced by them. I know of a few people who have recently had problems with Oil Pressure sender units failing!!

regards,

Martin