Click here if you are having website access problems ×

SL or 1.8SS

KevSull Too

After lusting after Caterhams for 15 years I'm now in a position to have one of my very own...

So, looking for a late model Superlight or 1.8 Supersport pref with cycle wings. Is there a nice mode out there somewhere with my name on it (not literally, I'd rather it said Superlight...)?

Kev.

I wasted 15 years deliberating over whether I could live with a 7 or not. When the Elise came out I thought it was the answer. I bought one and it wasn't.

The emergence of Track Days and my first drive in a 7 were enough. Nothing is more fun on a circuit.

Subject to budget, used 1.6 Supersports seem to be very good value as a first buy. After a year or so you will have a clearer idea of exactly what you want and you can either, upgrade or buy new to your exact specification.

Depending where you are in the country, I can recommend Millwood Motors in Gloucestershire (01453 544321). They have an impressive set up and the showroom has a lot of nice stock.

Mad Manx

Thanks for the info Mike, I actually hired a 7 for a day from Millwood, thoroughly nice chaps... That was a 1.6 Roadsport, masses of fun but needed a bit more power, so I started looking at 1.8 RS or SS. Then started reading a few threads about throwing money at the car on upgrades. So my logic was:- If I buy a SL now I'll actually save money... (Think I've now convinced myself and the girlfriend!!)

There also seems to be a lot of similar thinking on this site, and the opinion that the SL is about the best 7 you can get for the road and track without paying silly money.

Kev.

Kev,

I'm still not one hundred percent sure about changing my 1999 SL (1.8SS upgrade). At the moment I'm waiting for Caterham to come back to me with a part exchange price against a new SLR or R500. Details of my car are as follows:

Full SL spec (6 speed box wide track etc)1.8 Super sport upgrade, Anti Cav Tank, Immobilizer, Leather seats, half doors and tonneau, new ACB10's, FIA roll bar, battery cut out switch push button start. Ali with laquered carbon (cycle) wings and nose cone. 4,500 miles just serviced at 4,300 miles I've never taken her on the track.

Might be interested in a private sale rather than Caterham buying it and adding a few grand on.

I bought a factory-built SuperLight earlier this year to replace my 15 year old X-flow and I love it. Seriously worth the extra if you can stretch to it over a Roadsport. I didn't buy from Caterham though - looked for another smaller re-seller to negotiate a better deal (not the same backup though, but it depends how much come-back in the first few weeks with a new 7 you feel happy with I guess), and if you're happy to buy 'as-seen' and are prepared to do some work on the car to make it tip-top it can be well worth it (I saved £4k on the approx. price of my car if it had been in the Caterham showroom).

Summary: however you acquire your car the Superlight is the way to go for the best smiles per pound and race potential. Good luck.