Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

New Build - Fitting the differential

c7jhc

Finally got the differential fitted last night but I have a niggling doubt! I fitted the lower bolts and spacers and tightened to 'firm' then checked it was centralised as per the manual - machined surface of unused lower mounting to outer chassis tube. So far so good. Then turned to the top bolt which I'd had to remove to fit the lower bolts! The diff naturally sat closer to the offside upper mount so the number of spacers required on each side of the upper mountings was not the same. I used 1 standard and 1 thin on the offside and 4 standard and 1 thin on the nearside. I then tightened an old nyloc to 'firm' to check the fit. All looked well. I rechecked the diff was central. I then torqued the three bolts and again checked the diff was central. My niggling doubt is the spacers on the top bolt. Has anyone else had the same when fitting the diff? Carefully checking the position as per the manual I believe the dif is located centrally within 0.5mm - 1mm.

This is almost an exact repeat of a post I put on last November. *smile*

The general concensus was that it was quite normal to be slightly mis-aligned at the top provided the lower part of the casing is centralised within tolerance. *thumbup*

Brent

2.3 DURATEC SV

R 417.39 😬

While you are doing this it could be worth asking CC about what washers you should have under the bolt heads. I took mine in for the PBC to Caterham Midlands recently and they told me I had missed out the lock washers. According to my build manual you are supposed to put plain washers here and there are no lock washers in sight (nor would I expect so with nylocs in use). Perhaps someone has had a change of mind on this without it getting into the build manual.

There is obviously a difference of opinion here as I fitted mine as the build manual with plain washers under the heads and it was pronounced ok when CC themselves carried out the PBC a few weeks ago.

I can't, for the life of me, see what possible use locking washers would be when you are using Nyloc nuts anyway. Sounds to me like it was simply a case of an over zealous mechanic. *wink*

Brent

2.3 DURATEC SV

R 417.39 😬

Edited by - BRENT CHISWICK on 1 Jun 2005 08:17:59

*smile* Thanks for the replies. I was trying to convince myself that the top being slightly misaligned was likely to be ok. I will check the lower alignment one more time this morning before continuing with the rollbar and rear suspension... *thumbup*

And if the diff bolts were to even reach, let alone exceed, 180C you would have serious problems of another sort anyway. *wink* So I'm sure it must be down to an over zealous PBC, but at least locking washers can't do any harm so no probs there. *thumbup*

Brent

2.3 DURATEC SV

R 417.39 😬