Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Injection pump electrical connection connundrum

Mike Bees

After fitting new fuel tank, discovered that the pump didn't prime when the ignition was switched on. After an hour of chasing wires & multimeter mayhem I discovered I'd connected the wire from the pump to the foglight connector... Huge relief, swapped it over to the correct connector and - it still didn't prime. Removed the connector from the (in-tank) pump itself, tested it for continuity - OK, tested it for 12v when ignition switched on - OK, when to reconnect it to the pump and noticed that the pump-side connector (white plastic thing) had disappeared into the tank... *mad*

I've now removed the pump from the tank and cannot see any way that the white plastic connector can be located/secured in the pump housing. I also don't see how, when the other end (black flying lead) is connected, it is supposed to be fuel-tight. Surely it can't be (a) just the interference fit of the connector in the hole in the housing, or (b) the flat rubber ring in the flying lead side connector being snug up against the outside of the housing. *confused*

Currently the only way I can plug the flying lead in to the pump connector is to do it with the pump out to ensure that it doesn't just push the connector into the tank. *confused* *confused*

Any ideas gratefully and urgently received.

Mike

Mike from memory my black flying lead exits through a black plastic cup that is filled with some sort of white epoxy sealant. Presumably this provides the seal. Its a standard Rover fuel tank pump housing, however I have fitted the uprated pump to this. May be this is a silly question but why did you remove the white connector from the housing ?.

Edited by - Rob Walker on 31 May 2005 20:21:43

It removed itself - it just fell into the tank when I tried to plug the black cap/connector onto it. I can't see what held it in the housing to prevent this from happening every other time I've removed & refitted the black connector.

The epoxy sealant doesn't seal the plastic cap/connector against the tank, only the internals of the cap itself.

Mike

I am still confused, the pump pushes into the housing inside the tank and the only other connection is externally a euro connector at the end of a 150mm black flying lead. The black epoxy filled bit on the outside of the tank should not have been disturbed I know it looks like a plug but its not.

Rob