Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Carpet fitting - a sticky question

Steve Campbell

Simple question !

First, Yes I have carpet in the car !

I've just noticed the carpet has started to come away in the passenger footwell (my wife says it wasn't her but she definitely uses the footwell to brace her legs wink.gif).

Anyway, any advice on the best glue / way of re-attaching ?

Cheers

Steve Campbell

P889 GRR

Steve

My carpet is doing the same in the passenger footwell. It was originally glued with contact adhesive which has come un-stuck.

I have bought some good quality double sided carpet tape to stick it back. Not got around to doing it yet but did all the carpet in a Mini this way over a year ago with no problems.

AMMO

Copydex works very well. Paint on back of carpet and on transmission tunnel, wait 10 minutes, and stick them together. Unlike contact adhesive, this will come undone with a little provocation for times when you need access to the gearlever mechanism or re-routing cables in the transmission tunnel.

Cheers,

Graham

I have recently replaced all the carpet in my car (except in the drivers footwell, where I've not put anything). I haven't glued any of it. The rear carpet - behind the seats is held in place by the drivers seat and the harness bolts through the boot cover. The passenger carpet in the footwell is loose, so I can take it out and clean it and dry it when it gets rained on. The tunnel carpet is held on by a number of press studs, so it can be removed and cleaned/dried as necessary.

I used to have glued carpet, but it suffered from rot, mildew and any number of other maladies. The pieces under the seat runners also helped the floor to rot, electrolytic action between the steel runners and the aluminium floor being helped by damp carpet.

If you have carpet you need to be able to remove it without ripping it apart.

Dave H