Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Fuel consumption on my new Megane diesel

Phil Bishop

My other car is - a Megane diesel! I've had one for a couple of years now, but just replaced it with an automatic version. The little 1500 engine is so quiet (believe it or not) that I was having trouble with gear changes and pulling away - being very hard of hearing, I just couldn't hear the thing! (Don't have that trouble with my Caterham, strangely....)

The point is that the fuel consumption on my previous car was fantastic - the trip computer indicating consumption in the low seventies (!) mpg at a steady 70 mph. A bit better still, if you stayed at about 65 mph on a cruise. I knew I would lose some of the fuel mileage with an automatic, but at present I can't get above 50 mpg at 70 mph. Now, there's only about a thousand miles on the clock at present, but can all this difference just be put down to the engine needing to loosen up? I know diesels come into their own a lot later than petrol engine cars, but I thought I'd be a bit closer to what I was experiencing before even from the off.

Just taken delivery of a new diesel last week. It only has 7 miles on the clock. Done 800 miles in it so far and the consumption has improved noticeably and the engine has started to loosen up.

On the first couple of days I could not get the consumption to exceed 36mpg, however, by Friday it had risen to 43mpg over the same route. STill way short of my last car.

This is the third new diesel I have had and IIRC they all did the same.

One thing to be aware of they also used oil when new. The first one a VW TDI PD engine burnt it at an alarming rate for the first few thousand miles.

Alicat

My new Mondeo (manual 5 speed) has so far exceeded expectations in terms of fuel consumption in its first 3000 miles. I was expecting based upon what other users were telling me to average 46 and its really averaging 52 is very good for a big car. However, I suspect that this is down to my driving style (granny) and the fact that I rarely do a journey of less than an hour.

I had a trip up to Newcastle over the weekend and on the way up the mileage calculator function 'stuck' at 48 mpg. Just couldn't get it higher. On the way back I tanked up, reset the computer and got an average of 54 mpg for the journey back to Essex. So it looks like things are loosening up already. Or it's downhill coming home.

Of course there are only four gears, compared to the manual's five, and I think it is pulling about 300 to 400 more revs at 70 mph - although I would have thought the ratio in top would have been the same.

Still, very pleased with the car. Very comfortable, light and relaxing to drive, but certainly not one that invites a sporty attitude. I have another car that does that ....

See, they do loosen up *thumbup*

Diesels always seem to get better the more miles they do, my last one didn't really feel like it had loosened up properly unit 20k miles. It has just paseed the 60k mark and is averaging 52mpg, that includes motorways, and sitting in jams. On a decent run it would make 60mpg *eek* *eek*.

I have handed down to one of my troops and have had a new car. One week old and back at the dealers for the week *mad*

Alicat

Thanks Alicat!

The trouble is, being a Renault, it's got a bloody good engine and the rest just falls apart round it!

With a diesel, I suppose by the time the engine gets good there's very little left of the rest of the car travelling along in the same company!

The trouble is, being a Renault, it's got a bloody good engine and the rest just falls apart round it!

Taken a look then here then?

I know mine has done over 100k now but the reason I bought a turbo diesel is that I was lead to believe it would give me at least another 100K with out too much trouble. Maybe I'm nieve but even the renault dealer I had it repaired at said they had turbo issues as low as 40K. If you take a look on BC you'll find the same thing.

Gareth

Blue and Carbon 6 Speed Supersport with new wheels

My car before last was a Passat TDI, I did 100k in it in under three years. No major problems, a broken glove box handle and a steering column problem. It was then run by a junior up to 130K before being disposed of. The new owner contacted me to track down the spare key, he was over the moon with it *thumbup*

Alicat

Well my new Hyundai petrol 2 ltr 4x4 (seven months old, now at 26,450miles) is only doing about 21.9-24.2 mpg on the trip computer. Dreadful, but it didn't tie up with the actual tank to tank figures when I calculated it. Turns out that it is working in American galls so multiply the figures by 1.2 and they get better! (26.28- 29.04). Co fuel so 😬

The engine and gearbox (manual) only really got it together when about 18,000 miles were on the clock.