Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Fuel Consumption

Fast Westie

My race car with 2L Zetec 195bhp is currently giving about 9mpg on the track (races and track days).

Is this excesive?

Would switching to fuel injection improve things much?

The reason I ask is that I might do some longer races next year where refueling is not allowed and will therefore need to carry a lot of fuel.

The car in front is a Westfie1d wink.gif

I seem to get alot more than this on the track. Maybe 15-18 MPG.

I would have thought that you could get better fuel economy from injectors as they are much easier to tune(to the nth degree) than carbs.

T 1 PPB - Superlight

"Well yes officer I'm not arguing, it's just that [insert excuse here]..."

My old crossflow used to give 9mpg on the track too. Haven't been on the track with the new engine but given the poor fuel consumption o far I ssupect the same again - after all this one puts out alot more power than the previous and it doesn't come free

Nigel Mills - 2.0 Zetec carbs

Fast Westie,

Are you running 3d mapped ignition? This will generally give a fuel consumption improvement over 2D.

If you are going to do the JCC Centurion Challenge, it might be worth having a word with Gary Furst. He has won the series in the past with a 3D mapped 185bhp Crossflow and has no problems finishing races.

You can find him on the 'How far can you go with a Crossflow' thread.

Roger

I currently only have a 2D ignition map. The ECU is an old MBE one that requires the EPROM removing for programming each time so there is no chance of changing it. If I am going to change the ECU and remap it I might as well go the whole way and switch to fuel injection. The guy that built the engine did it for a hot rod so set it up to run quite rich.

question.gif Will fitting 3D ignition help on a race car since I'm on full throttle a lot (I was going to say all the time wink.gif)?

I will contact Gary as well. BTW, 185bhp from a crossflow - Wow! I know of one 1720cc engine giving 178bhp and I thought that was good.

The car in front is a Westfie1d wink.gif

Edited by - Fast Westie on 8 Nov 2001 12:42:21

Westie,

You have spotted the fact that 3D makes most difference on light throttle, but even on the track, you aren't full throttle all of the time. It seems to make just enough difference to help.

That's why I suggested that you contact Gary, because he has before and after experience.