Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Various electrical maladies

bstark

Now the cold weather has returned it seems to have brought with it a couple of electrical faults on my 92 Live Axle xflow. Can anyone help with this?:

The indicators have gone a bit funny at the drivers side rear: If I just use the indicators then the front flashes double speed, no rear.

If I then brake, the front indicator slows to less thatn half speed, again no rear.

If the lights are on as well as the brakes then the Indicators do as above but if the brakes are on the brake light pulses in time.

The heated front screen seems to have stopped working - I'm hoping this is just a fuse but having bought the car 2nd hand I don't know where the fusebox is - can someone tell me before I start poking around?

Bob Stark

Supersprint first-timer

For the indicators, start by taking the lens off the rear lights and check for corrosion around the bulb fittings - very common. Then check the earth at the chassis, although if the brakes and tail lights work, then this is unlikely. Also, having fallen into obvious traps myself, try replacing the buld - most common fault.

Cheers,

Graham

I've had a poke around inside the rear light unit and I'm still puzzled. Here are the exact symptoms if anyone can diagnose for me:

Passenger side lights all work fine.

Same indicator symptoms on rear drivers side if either turn switch or hazards used.

Drivers side rear only:

If all other lights are off, then indicators do work, but both filaments in the brake light/rear light bulb flicker in time with the indicator.

If the headlights are on, then the indicator flashes faster, but more faintly at the rear, whilst the brake/rear light filaments pulse out of phase with each other as the indicator flickers.

(sounds the same with the brakes on but couldn't check as on my own tonight)

If you take out the brake/rear light bulb, then the rear indicator doesn't work at all, whilst the front goes double speed.

All the connections in the light unit look clean as far as I can tell, and I bunged in some WD40 just in case, to no avail.

There is some rust coming in from the bottom of the unit, but the actual bulb holders ar OK.

(is there supposed to be a gasket on the unit, 'cos mine hasn't got one?)

Do any budding / actual electricians have any ideas?

Bob Stark

Supersprint first-timer

Sounds like you have lost the earth to the drivers side rear light unit... the current thet would have gone to earth (and back to the -ive terminal of the battery) is now taking the next easiest route through the brake light and tail light filaments thus lighting them both dimly,(taking the bulb out removes this path and the indicator will not flash) You will need to ensure the wire from the surround of the bulb base (not the little bit in the middle,that is the +ive feed) to the chassis is complete and is making good contact with the chassis at one end and the metalwork inside the light fitting...try connecting a bit of spare wire temporarily to the light fitting and to an earth point,this should cure your problem,just need to make the original as good as this.

My indicators (K series) sometimes do strange things - but switching the hazard lights on and off has always cured the problem. But I would be interested to know whether there is a lurking problem or is this just something I have to expect - as the seller of the car when asked, said 'welcome to the wonderful world of Caterham' (thanks Stuart).

In case anyone gets a similar problem and reads this thread, the advice was right - it is an earth problem.

Connecting the light back plate to the chassis (with a jump lead - all I had to hand!) resulted in all lights working normally again.

The earth itself is connected to one of the rear wing mounting bolts, next to the fuel tank, and looks like a right pig to get to - one for the weekend.

Thanks for all the help.

Bob Stark

Supersprint first-timer

Bob,The current goes the other way...using the indicator filaments to connect back to the earth through the other 2 bulbs at the front and sides.

Though if the rear lights still work with the indicator bulb out,then it's just MAGIC!

Don't ask,just accept...

(How does that work Dad??...It's MAGIC son!)wink.gif