Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Any ideas for a good material for lightweight footwell mats

Atinod

To stop the sound of all that grit tumbling from one side of the footwell to the other 20 mins into a blat , I was trying to think of what material I could use for lightweight mats.

I want something easily removable for cleaning so don’t want to use any adhesive vinyl or similar.

I wonder if there is dense foam matting [similar to the sleeping bag ground mats used when camping] with a shiny surface finish on both sides and around 5mm thick? Maybe that material wouldn’t be durable enough though. They could be secured with adhesive Velcro pads.

Has anyone got a bright idea?

• Support Team

You can buy rolls of the material used to line tool chest draws from Halfords for not much money. This stuff is a mesh and very grippy so you wouldn't need to stick it down. Can't say it would be that hard wearing but if it wears or breaks it's cheap to replace.

Yellow SL *cool* #32

can one ADD lightness

Of course u can - add Malteasers 😬

& I'll use the same excuse as Barry - its been a long hard week working stupid hours & its Friday afternoon & I have next booked off 😬 😬

*thumbup* GrannY OrB TuneR *thumbup*

😳 Tweaker Of Fine Granny Orbs ! 😳

*biggrin* Superlight No: 170 *biggrin*

Laminate flooring underlay 🤔

Huge rolls are cheap, about 2mm thick, very light and spongy. Use once and then throw away, just find a young nephew and pay him 20p for each pair he cuts out 😬

Seek forgiveness, not permission.

Rules are for the interpretation of wise men and the obedience of fools.

I use rolls of 1mm thick EPDM rubber 'borrowed' from my former workplace, the supplier is a company called Phoenix, T: 01788 571482, F: 01788 542245. The rolls come in standard widths from 150mm up to 1500mm.

Thanks for all the suggestions; some good ideas there!

Actually the lino idea is good and it wouldn't need fixing down probably. I will investigate.

If you inflated a helium balloon in the footwell, you would have 'added lightness' surely?!

It would also stop all that grit getting in [along with passengers]!

Maybe nowhere.

Maybe the midget passenger would be keeping it in postion with their feet *eek*

It could be the first Caterham ever to be fitted with an air-bag *tongue*

Added lightness could be created using a compressed gas cylinder venting downwards, although a limited duration somewhat ruins the idea *tongue*