Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Roof Rack

Julian Thomson

The claub Magasine last year had a picture of a seven in it, with a ski rack. I think it had a small bar over the screen. However with a board being heavier, it might not be suitable unless you can find a way of positioning the bar further forward to support the board towards the front. Does anyone have a picture of the one in the club mag ?

Aerodynamic up force is more of a problem.

If you fitted a roll cage with a large board so that, in effect you had a wing section, then a light car like a 7 could have little steerage at speed.

This happened in the early 1970s in the south of France with a renault that had two boards attached and a horrible accident was caused

i am about to have a roof rack fitted for my windsurf boards. The guy at my local w/surf shop also has a seven and he had a 2-part rack built by 'Safety Devices' the roll-bar people. It looks similar to a full cage, but is fitted with only a couple of bolts for easy removal. (you need the petty strut fitted)

If you e-mail me i'll forward his details so you can ask for a better description.

Edited by - chrisd on 5 Nov 2001 19:21:17

'course the lift factor only comes into play if you put the board on the rack upside down. If you put it on right way up it doesn't look so good but may give some down force. Watch out for the fin when you're ducking around the back of the car during loading uloading though, I've got an inch long scar sad.gifon my head from a carbon fin!

Mike

Edited by - mike ashurst on 8 Nov 2001 09:00:45