Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Wacky idea...but it just might work

Irrelevant

Some issues have arisen with the Gigabusa ☹️....

One of them is to do with space for the 6.5 litre dry sump tank - basically, I need to move it. Problem is, the only place where it can realistically go has a steering column going through the middle of it.

I was thinking that I could get a tube welded into the dry sump tank, have the tank pressure tested, and stick the column through the middle of the tank. What I need to know is how much the steering column, rod thingy, whatever it's real name is...how much it flexes/moves when it's in use. I'm guessing not too much, so a 50mm tube should be ample.

Have I overlooked anything stupidly obvious here?

TIA *thumbup*

Must get the Gigabusa finished *smile*

Graham: The upper part of that space now has an intercooler in it and the lower part could do with being ducting. I've also got problems with clearance for a dry sump pipe with the tank in front of the engine. Both problems could be solved if I put the tank on the right hand side of the engine. I'm picking it up tomorrow so I can take some photos to demonstrate what I'm on about.

Looks like the problems have been solved now - gonna move the intercooler forward and use a bespoke oil fitting. Kind of a shame as I quite liked the idea of it ☹️ .....no time to fart about now though. Maybe I'll do it in the winter.

Aves: Yup - 6.5L to hold a minimum of 5L....based on TTS's advice (which I USED to believe). It's probably OK with a far smaller tank but I have this one now so it's going on.

Mark: I have the car but it needs to go back for 2 days when I've done all the body work and finished everything else. I'd arranged to get it reskinned tomorrow(well today now - Saturday) but that isn't going to happen now as I haven't finished fitting the side skins ☹️.

Was hoping to get to Elvington but I think I'll give it a miss and try and get it to Llandow or somewhere else for a shakedown/setup rather than driving it for the first time at a sprint. So if all goes well, or even with a couple of bugs, I should have it done for MIRA.

Norman: There is no extended passenger footwell & the engine is about 1" away from the end of the shortened footwell to keep the weight as central as possible - you can see how tight it is in either this or this.

With hindsight, I would have made a custom tank and fitted it in front of the driver's footwell with the steering rod going through it - but with hindsight, I'd have done loads of things differently - like not started in the first place. It's been soooooo much hastle and the bl00dy thing still isn't running *mad*

Edited by - AdamHay on 28 May 2005 02:13:38