Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

1.4k upgrade (old chestnut)

jono

Apologies for this one again, but....

I have a 1.4 factory built supersport which is about due for an engine rebuild or upgrade. I really enjoy the revvy nature of the 1.4 and character of the car

135bhp - 140bhp is more than enough for me so it would appear that I have 2 choices, either upgrade to 1.6 which i understand can be done by combining a 1.6 short enginze with my 1.4 ss head, sump etc. or rebuild the 1.4 in which case I would like to tweak it up to around 135 - 140bhp without losing reliability.

As I understand it the 1.6 is the same stroke as the 1.4 so this should rev in the same way(?) What output could be expected by doing a straight swap to a 1.6 (to effectively create a 1.6 supersport)?

If I rebuilt the 1.4 how could I achieve some modest gains in torque and power

as described above without sacrificing reliability. Car currently runs on a 4-1 exhaust which i would ideally like to retain.

(car is 6 spd)

Advice appreciated *thumbup*

Edited by - jono on 26 May 2005 14:10:04

Hmmm....think you have to replace the MEMS for the 1.6??? someone will correct me hopefully...

I've just done the 1.8 conversion...same as with 1.6, reused existing s/s mems, cams, flywheel etc...Just get a bottom end, headset etc etc and the bigger injectors/ fuel rail.......mucho mucho fun! Not as revvy....but much much quicker!!! 5th is a gear you can actually accelerate in now!! 😬 😬 😬

The 1600 is just as 'revvy' as the 1400, if you up your fuel pressure to around 4 bar you can use the old MEMs/head/injectors etc. 1600 short engines are easy to get hold of I have a 1600 bottom end here and a good set of low mileage pistons on rods that you can have for peanuts.

oily