Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Vauxhall exhaust

Nick Speed

Any thoughts on upgrading the exhaust on a Vauxhall (standard apart from Weber Alpha 3D, QED Q42H cams and rechoked/jetted carbs)? What likely advantage is to be had over the standard Caterham sports exhaust? And if so what to? Caterham do a larger system - any good? What are the other options? Does an upgrade just involve the collector, silencer and tailpipe?

Cheers

Nick

Nick,

A recent thread entitled 'Exhaust Advice' will have a wider range of info but in brief, the current caterham 4:1 comp system (which I have at the moment) has very unequal primaries and a restrictive bore which has a detrimental effect on performance. A system with equal length primaries, 2.75/3" collector bore and a 4:2:1 configuration will hopefully give a little more top end bhp, but more importantly give a decent dollop of extra mid-range torque.

Nick,

On this spec engine, changing the exhaust will give little improvement over the std system, as ALL the Caterhams systems suffer from the same limitations - unequal length primaries, restricted (curved) primaries, non 4-2-1 configuration, and except the JPE system, restrictive pipe diamters (promary and collector/silencer)

Best way to improve your car is injection. Q420's should give you a good 220 bhp on Jnevey SF throttle bodies.

Fat Arn

The NOW PROVEN R500 Eaterid=red>

See the Lotus Seven Club 4 Counties Area Website hereid=green>

I´ll receive my SBD-manifold + silencer tomorrow (hopefully), will be dynoed then next month. I´ll keep you updated about the results...

Marius

P.S.: Steve slightly lowered the price for the manifold (I think 80quid cheaper or so, don´t remember exactly)

Alex,

You can get them made to your own spec by any competent exhaust manufacturer:

BTB

Hayward and Scott

Anyone paying a grand for a manifold on its own which is produced from a jig as a batch is paying through the nose. One off manifolds such as mine are cheap and well made for around £800 by Hayward and Scott. 01268 727256 Ask for Ian, tell himm Arnie sent you......

Fat Arn

Alex,

I spoke to both BTB and SBD about a full system.

I decided to go with SBD because of cost and lead times. BTB wanted nearly 1400 quid for their system and the SBD version is just over a grand plus a fee for the Camcoat. SBD have also just reduced the cost of their manifolds. Also SBD quoted 4 weeks, whereas BTB were busy and felt 5/6 weeks was more likely.

There's a company called ' Exhaust by Design' who fabricated the 4-2-1 system on Dave Kimberley's Curbourough FTD car, who quoted me around £520 for a 4-1 system including repackable silencer - I also believe they have done work for Peter Carmichael's K too.

The premises are very low tech so he has no real overheads, said he would need the car for a couple of days - website is www.exhasutbydesign.co.uk

Alan

L7 FUN

NotSoLightVx - but with 262.5Bhp!

Edited by - tazio on 6 Nov 2001 19:47:56

Received my SBD-system yesterday, looks fantastic, excellent welding job. Hope it will work as good as it looks but I haven´t got too much doubt...

The system was wrapped in a large box which still showed some TITAN-Motorsport stickers, so that´ll be the place where they´re being made for SBD.

Marius

BTB used to make all of SBD's exhausts, manifolds and silencers. I know this 'cos they used my car at BTB's workshop to do the first manifold that didn't come thro the bonnet, same length and diameters but different layout.

I guess if they don't use BTB anymore they must have found someone else cheaper to copy BTB's design.

Arnie, why "exploding" ? I know you´re not best friend with Steve but what happenend to your carbon-silencer ? I recently saw some pictures of K2RUM being equipped with one some time ago.

SBD recommends not to use this silencer on engines which are "prone to detonate"...

Marius

Blatters,

Give me a call on 020 8603 9162. I used a company called Connaught, having been totally disatisfied with QED.

I spoke with them again and have some VERY interesting news on Hydraulic cams. There has been much development in this area and my Vauxhall was dyno'd with 228bhp on a pair of hydraulic cams. They are a fabulous profile and I have now problem keeping up with Arnies Car.

Hot news is, these cams were fitted two years ago and better profiles are now available. Give us a call and I'll happily chat with you about this.

Connaught build F1 engines for hill climb cars and the owner, Phil Price was European Hill Climb Champion 5 years ago. Great guy, excellent service and no Bul**it advice unlike the others!!!!

Cheers

Mike

Mike,

Your car is dead slow - over 5 secs to 60 I seem to remember.....

Marius, the carbon can on the SBD silencer is not rigid!! As a result it shatters into lots of fragments. Before Graham tells me off (again) I know of at least 3 people this has effected.

Graham, You cannot get a 33" pri, 17" sec system with silencer on a car without exiting out of the side of the bonnet. Or not unless its rather curved! (restrictive)

Fat Arn