Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Cleaning

Peter_Holton

This may seem a bit bizarre, but I remember reading in the Sun once (if it's in the Sun, it's got to be true) that some bloke polished up all the chrome parts of his 'old-timer' with HP sauce. Apparantly it works really well, as the main ingredient is vinegar!!!

Hope this helps.

I was told recently to start on the ali windscreen surround with the usual 'Solvol Autosol' chrome cleaner. Rub it in with a cloth but don't polish it off.Next use 'T-Cut' and rub it in with the remains of the Solvol. Then, polish off as per normal.No, I didn't think it'd work either but it b£%$&y well does!

The Solvol and T-Cut probably does work, but I would try using just Solvol to start with as it has a cutting agent in it, but is not as harsh as T-Cut. You'll need plenty of elbow grease, but I would think it would work. It's always worked for me in no end of situations (old push bikes, motor bikes, lawn mowers and surrounds on old Healey's...oh and my Caterham, but that's not old enough to be tarnished).

Edited by - moderate clam on 1 May 2000 10:43:10

No speacial formulas required...Try one of those sponge pan scourers. Make sure the scourer side is plastic and not metal (they're normally plastic). This cleans the ali screen surround up a treat. You can also use it to lightly clean bugs etc off the windscreen and headlights.

Don't use it on the rear wheel arch spats, anything painted, any unpainted bodywork, or any fibreglass. It'll scratch. After cleaning the windscreen surround it'll look like it's brushed.

I use Dry Wash 'n' Guard polish on my aluminium. If the windscreen surround is really bad, you could try using this polish (or possibly Solvol) on a sheepskin polishing 'bonnet' (any good DIY store should have them - pretty cheap, too) with a power drill. I do all the aluminium on mine with it. You can get really superb results!

I've used Astonish on mine to good effect. It's available from Rayburn/Aga dealers for cleaning the enamel. It shifts the tarnish and doesn't seem to hurt the paintwork if you get over enthusiastic with it.