Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Radiator fan upgrade

PAUL MARRIOTT

Are you sure you can't get the 11" fan to fit on the front? I certainly had that size on my Radtec radiator albeit I had to trim 4 edges of the fan shroud to get it sitting close to the fins.

The standard Caterham fan has a crap (ie cheap) blade design so the Pacet Pro fans with a more efficient blade profile should deliver a far greater volume of air, size for size.

Brent

2.3 DURATEC SV

R 417.39 😬

Edited by - BRENT CHISWICK on 13 Jun 2005 17:02:22

Brent

I have 290 mm on the rad top to bottom and the Pacet 11" comes up at 295mm thats across the flat sections top and bottom of the fan, I double checked with SVC and Steve, I think it was, was adament that there wasn't any material could be taken off to make it fit. I thought about shaving a bit of the rad but that didn't seem to be such a good idea or cutting back the fan shroud but that seemed an even worse idea ( tolerances to close.). All a bit frustrating really very close but not close enough, It was the same story with the SPAL fans which I checked with Radtec.

Paul M.

Brent

OK, but in the words of SWMBO "if it don't work its YOUR fault".

Well actually SVC are out of 10" pushers at the moment so I've ordered an 11" sucker (upon your reassurances), SVC being very helpful said if it doesn't fit just send it back *thumbup* *thumbup*.

I'll let you know how I get on.

Paul M.

Yeah, I sent the 9" Pacet back to them... (arrived after I'd decided to make the 10" fit, or die trying...)

Still, I haven't checked to see if they credited me for it 😳 *wink*

FWIW, the 10" Pacet (a Clubfan, I believe - without all the redundant cr*p listed in DT - i.e. no relay, 'stat etc.) is a *hell* of a lot more powerful than the SPAL 9" - I can feel air being sucked in ahead of the nose - and in traffic, I get a warm-breeze through the bonnet vents (virtually full-undertray, so it has to come out somewhere...).

I'm happy.

Project Scope-Creep is live...

Alcester Racing 7's Equipe - 🙆🏻

Alcester-Racing-Sevens.com

Yeah fair cop guvnor, 'twas definitely a Caterham ('97) and there was just enough room in front of the ARB so unless your chassis is very different to my old one, it should fit with a bit of fettling. *tongue* 😬

Brent

2.3 DURATEC SV

R 417.39 😬

Mark

I've fitted a 11" Pacet fan, CF1110P, bought from SVC in place of the standard 9". It's a straight swop but fitted by the button ties through the rad matrix - actually very secure. I had to trim a bit, a scallop about 3 mm deep in the bottom rail of the rad and cut about 3 mm of the rim of the "opposite" side of the fan to fit under the top rail.

I've retained the rad thermo switch but also added control by the ECU (Emerald) via a relay, my rad switch seems to operate at about 85 - 86 degC and I've set the ECU to come in at 89. I've also connected an overide switch, via the relay, in case all else fails.

I've also converted to the PRRT themostat, mainly 'cos I'm paranoid about CHG failure have had 4 engines go in a Freelander!! To fine tune that I need to fiddle with the byepass flow and reposition the Laminova - but thats another story.

Paul M.

Brent,

Was your 11" fan a Profan or the Clubman. Also did you get it from DT or SVC.

I have measured my Raceline Duratec Rad and the usable area is 350mm x 325 mm, so should be able to fit the 11" behind OK. Problem is I only have 55mm clearance between rad and ARB, guess I will have to pack it forward.

Duratec SV, built in Dubai *cool*

Neil,

On both my cars, they were/are the Profan which I bought from Dave Kimberley at DT.

On my last car it was an 11" and on the present one with the Raceline rad, 12" although as I pointed out earlier, I don't have an ARB as I am using Freestyles inboard front suspension so depth of the fan isn't an issue. On the SV, however, there is bags of room to move the rad forwards so you may well still be able to fit the 12" even with the standard ARB.

You will recognise the thrust from the 12" as akin to that from the 777 engines. 😬

Brent

2.3 DURATEC SV

R 417.39 😬

Went to Goodwood yesterday and fell across the SVC stand.

Bought an 11 inch Pacet profan and fitted it today.It fits behind the rad ( tripple pass )fine and clears the antiroll bar without needing to move the rad forward.Also found that the standard fan brackets almost fit the standard radiator mounts ( had to elongate the holes a bit ) .Wiring connector the same as the Caterham loom.All in all a pretty straightforward swap.

My only concern was that it draws 10 amps but as the fuse is rated at 15 i guess that this is OK.

Just need a test run now to see if it makes much difference. A quick bypass of the switch ( and recycling paper all round the garage ! ) would suggest that the prognosis is good.