Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Clutch cable - simple help needed

Nodrog

Driving back from Handcross after watching the London-Brighton cars amongst all the 777s (and the sausages were great), my clutch cable snapped. The indignity of being RAC recovered home!

Can anyone help a mechanical simpleton with the following:

My clutch cable has parted company with the top of the clutch pedal - there's a loose brass bit at the top of the pedal, but no sign of any actual cable, either attached to it or protruding from the cable cover.

1. Is it simply a question of ordering a new cable - or are there any other bits needed? Is the cable and its cover and brass end bits all one part?

2. The clutch end of the cable look a bit of a b***** to get at and undo - any tips for that?

Nodrog

N910 RPM

Glad you got home ok, it must be a common problem, my ss has had 3 clutch cables in under 12 months. i would like to say thank you to those that organised the day. it was along trip from darkest norfolk, but worth it just to talk to some like minded peps.

May be worth looking at the top of the clutch pedal , the metal around the eyelet into which the cable slots can chaff the cable over time when the pedal is depressed . If you file the hole down the pedal about 5mm this prevents the chaffing .

I also got through cables every 3000mile till this was pointed out to me .

I have since carried a spare clutch cable & spanners (unused - touch wood ! )

Dave

• Leadership Team

I had 2 cables snap in my first year of ownership.

I have found that the cure for me wat to ensure that the brass nipple is well greased at all times (oo-er).

Otherwise, the nipple binds with the bolt at the top of the pedal, and instead of pivoting, it bends the cable each time the pedal is depressed, hence the cable snaps over time. It;s an easy job to pop the pedal cover off every few months and drop on a dab on grease to prevent the problem.

As for replacing the cable, it's easy. Order a complete unit from Caterham. Just watch carefully where the esisting cable is routed and copy this with the new one. Adjustment of the cable length and pedal height is with the aid of the two nuts where the cable enters the clutch assembly.

Good luck - Michael.

my clutch cable is about eight years old and is still going strong as stated by Mcalvert, it is essential that the brass eyelet which connects the cable to the pedelwith a through bolt is relatively loose on the bolt and able to move up and down.