Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Trouble firing up new build 1900K - it ran, but it ain't happy

Dave McCulloch

Timbo

Ring gaps were fitted offset from each other - as per the Haynes manual. I've pulled out 2 of the plugs tonight, and one of them is black and wet, and the other looks very sooty. Also noticed that the tops of both pistons look really wet - can't imagine this is right either...

It's looking increasingly like it's going to be coming apart again 🙆🏻

Dave

Feck me... its now 3 each *thumbup*

The soot mixture as Oily says is more likely a fueling/air issue. Check plugs 1 & 4 and 2 & 3 together for oiling/sooting to see if it is ignition related. It is possible that if the mixture has been overly rich initially (re. your postings) it could effect the plugs firing. Change the plugs completely and try again.

I set up JJ's 1900 using Chris Goode's data logging software along with the wide range lambda off Mick Smith's base map. Mick's map, even though the engine specs where very similar ran way too lean on JJ's car. Considerable fueling adjustments were made to JJ's injection values. We've just returned from Haggsilander.... JJ's car perfromed faultlessly. Just be carefull... just because someone appears to have a similar setup it doesn't mean its right for your engine.

Also check your coolant temp sensor is functioning on the Emerald live page. As the eng heats if the coolant signal is not factoring down the coolant enrichment injection values the eng will overfuel... throwing out black smoke. Are you running a baro? if not reset all the baro values to 0.

Emerald Isle's 1st SV 148lbft @ 6091rpm/182bhp @ 6690rpm engineered for low revs

Thanks Timbo. The coolant sensor is working correctly - started at about 14 degrees, increasing to c.80 degrees when the fan kicked in. I'll pull out the other 2 plugs tomorrow morning and see if there's any correlation between soot and plug No. No.2 was definitely quite wet though, but difficult to tell if it was fuel/water with carbon deposits in it due to a rich mixture, or oil. I had to order the plugs so can't get instant replacements...

What are "baro values" - assume barometric correction? I'm not running a barometric sensor, but where do I find the baro values to set to 0?

Dave

Edited by - Dave McCulloch on 25 May 2005 22:06:45

Erm, this might sound daft - but...

...you have got the Emerald set-up correctly for the ignition-system have you?

Before building the PSC engine, I tested my Eu3-EU2 loom-converter on my 1.6 (static as I didn't have a 1.6 map for an untuned engine) - I got it running (badly) very rich (fine, I thought - it was a 1.8 map).

It was only when we got PSC up and running (or rather didn't) that I/we realised that the batched/paired settings were wrong and that I'd been idling the 1.6 on two cylinders... 😳

Project Scope-Creep is live...

Alcester Racing 7's Equipe - 🙆🏻

Alcester-Racing-Sevens.com

Myles

I thought I had the ignition set up correctly, but I'm not so sure now. I had it running for another 45 minutes yesterday, and I'm fairly certain it's not burning oil - there is none of the distinctive "burning oil" smell you get when behind an old banger, the plugs haven't fouled up and the smoke it's producing is very white (no blue tinge at all). I'm also fairly happy it's not the head gasket as it's now run for about 1.5 hours in total, and the coolant level hasn't moved and there have been no signs of bubbles or any other nasties in the header tank.

I pulled out all 4 plugs, and Nos. 1 and 4 are very black and sooty (ie very rich mixture) meanwhile plugs 2 and 3 were just very wet (with a couple of small black deposits on them) - here - No.1 on the left. Additionally, my tacho hasn't worked at all since putting this engine in. I've checked the integrity of the wire from pin 12 of the ECU connector to the connector where the engine loom joins the car, and it's ok. What's confusing is I thought I had set this up correctly - I even cranked with the plugs out but connected up to make sure all 4 were firing - which they were at the time.

I assume the only relevant setting is the Ignition Driver drop-down box under ECU Configuration - I've got this set to "Twin". Injection Output is set to "Grouped". Have I got this right 🤔 Anything else to check 🤔

I'll probably pull out the plugs again and connect up to coils and double check I still have 4 sparks.

Dave

Edited by - Dave McCulloch on 27 May 2005 09:34:28

Edited by - Dave McCulloch on 27 May 2005 09:35:24

Edited by - Dave McCulloch on 27 May 2005 09:36:12

Dave re white smoke, mine done that heavily before mapping, once mapped it is now ok.

If it is def not oil, then I think it is NOT a problem considering you have it mapped soon after running-in.

The plugs look as i would expect without a RR session.

Martin

MW 51 CAT

Superlight No.171

now know as:Superlight DVA 207

Edited by - Martin Whitcher on 27 May 2005 13:04:37

Martin

Thanks for that. Maybe I am worrying unnecessarily. I've got it set up so that it will happily sit idling at 1000rpm with the idle control turned off. I certainly didn't expect the amount of smoke it's pumping out - especially when you blip the throttle - clouds of it.

How many miles running in did you do before the rolling road session 🤔 And I assume you restricted the revs/throttle used until the RR session confirms the mapping is ok 🤔 I'm slightly nervous about taking it out as the battery only seems capable of a single start at the moment - I then need to get the jump leads out. Since the battery was fine with the old engine, I assume it's just because the engine is so new and "tight" that it's drawing a large current to turn it over.

Dave

Dave,

If you have an ignition issue you can identify by looking at plugs sparking out of the engine, then this problem would be very audible when the engine is running.

Certain types of oil contamination within the engine can give rise to white smoke, not limited to traces of diesel in the fuel. (I know this rather too well having purged my car after its recent misfill).

Regarding how far before the rollers, Steve G will set the bottom end running up for you on a fresh build, he took mine to 9500rpm after only 300 miles and it survived.

You get better piston seal if you are less refined in your running in process, which in turn leads to improved compression/power.

As your coolant is OK I would suggest you get the car on the rollers ASAP. The ability to detrmine if there is a problem under load and with the various gas measurements being taken will provide you the reassurance you need.

Arnie

Thanks. I've removed all plugs and connected up to coils and run outside engine - all 4 sparking healthily. Also removed the injectors on rail and spun engine on starter - all 4 injectors are injecting (and roughly evenly by the amount of fuel each delivered).

I've been through DVA's TB set up routine, and the engine idles happily at 1000rpm with idle control off. Sadly my complete ignorance in starting up a new build engine has now surpassed my belief that building an engine can't be that hard, can it 😳 😳.

I don't suppose you'd have half an hour to pop round and have a look at it - at least give me a quick pointer of a) get it to the rolling road or b) it's shagged, pull it apart. I'm around this afternoon, tomorrow morning, sunday afternoon and probably monday. Give me a ring on 07881 578682 if you can. (ps don't worry if you can't or would rather not...)

Ta

Dave