Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Mirrors again

Joespeeder v2.0

Hi All,

I have looked at the threads on mirrors and even tried to order some from Seven Accessories.

Has anyone ever tried mounting a small SPA type mirror to the wind deflectors? I was thinking about making some small ali plates to be a backing plate and drilling right through the deflectlors to secure everything. I would also need to have a hole for the set screw but that souldn't be too much trouble.

I know I can mount them this way, do you think it would work without flopping around when driving or stressing the deflector too much?

Joe

TheCaterhamProject.com - Build site with photos here

Edited by - Joespeeder on 24 May 2005 14:39:49

• Area Representative

Joe:

Seven Accessories seem to have disappeared. Shame.

The distinctive thing about their fitting was that it used a big hinge-pin to create a rigid attachment for the mirrors. This went through the hinges trapping a metal plate between it and the windscreen stanchion - clever.

As far as I know the wind deflectors hook on to the hinges and thus will not exhibit the same fixed position. If you have them and they stay in position it may work. - I would certainly give it a try.

Joe,

Sevenselans has some carbon fiber mirrors with an ali mounting plate.

Look here: here

here: here

and here here

They are not removable, like the seven accessories ones...and they prevent the doors from opening all the way (won't let the doors scratch the bonnet though).

ELV15 - Tom in California -

200hp duratec powered 2003 Clubsport Build pics here: here

Edited by - ELV15 on 24 May 2005 20:32:05

Joe,

I fear that the perspex wind deflector is not the best material to attach a wing mirror to, with the vibration and stress a crack is likely to appear (if it doesn't crack when you try to drill it!). The deflector would also be a bit vulnerable if you inadvertently bump into it when mounted, or when you store it after removal.

I think that using the middle of the three windscreen stanchion screws is a safer bet. I've used this method with my wind deflectors. If you want, send me your email address and I'll get the camera out and take, and email you a picture. (I use the standard wing mirror with the SPA mounting kit).

That's my humble opinion, anyway.

goffers

Yes, I'm sure they are the spa mirrors, they just get mounted a bit higher, using the adapter and the middle and top screws for the windscreen.

What I really want is a pair of mirrors that can be adjusted with the side curtians on.

ELV15 - Tom in California -

200hp duratec powered 2003 Clubsport Build pics here: here

I've mounted my SPA mirrors directly to the stanchions via the windscreen mounting screws, the doors and wind deflectors still fit and the mirrors dont vibrate either. Photos here and here. The only downside is that they restrict door opening a little but you soon get used to it

Nick

Red and Black 1.6K supersport

visit Carrotland.co.uk

Edited by - Nick Woods on 25 May 2005 09:56:17

Yes you can mount some lightweight mirrors on the deflectors. I didn't want to mount anything on the side of the windscreen, because that restricts the sidescreens when they're on. Originally I bought some racetech mirrors from demon tweeks, but these did'nt have enough angle adjustment, so that experiment ended in failure. However, I found exactly what I was looking for at Stoneleigh a few weeks ago and fitted those. Works a treat. Yes they do vibrate a little, but they don't flap around, and its much better than no mirrors. Also makes the car look better. The bad news, I have no idea what make they are as I bought them from one of the stands. Although if you want, I could email some pics to you so you've got some idea what to look for.

Let me know.

Oz.

Still Shaking.

6 speed 1600k Supersport

(keep forgetting to tell people what it is!)

Thanks Everyone,

Looks like there would be a market for some mounting plates. I was thinking about a plate mounted using two windshield screws. It would have a groove cut in either side and stay on the car permenently.

The mirror would mount to another plate that was "C" shaped and would slip onto the other plate by sliding the ends of the "C" into the groves. Think of a washer bottle mount. This way you would just slide the mirror on and off as needed.

Maybe I'll play with emachine. For now, I think I'll order some SPA mirrors and try the direct mount by removing the ball and using the hinge hole screw.

Thanks for all your input.

Joe

TheCaterhamProject.com - Build site with photos here

Edited by - JoeSpeeder on 25 May 2005 15:39:58