Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Yet another tyre pressure question

Bewls

Within a few hours of picking up my first Caterham a few weeks back, I fitted a new set of tyres, a set of 185 60 R13 Yokohama A048s in medium compound.

I asked the garage to put about 19PSI in them but they thought this seems a bit low, but claimed they put 19 in anyway. The car felt a bit "loose" even coming from Eagle F1s so I pulled into a petrol station to use their air pump. They pressures seems just over 20, but all were slightly different, so I let some out of all of them to what I thought was about 17-18PSI, but it was hard to tell due to the poor scale. After this the car seemed much better and after a hundred or so miles of running the tyres in they gripped really really well.

Yesterday, I checked them on my digital tyre pressure gauge at home and they were all 11-12 *eek*!

I then pumped them all up to 17PSI all round and headed of towards snake pass. But now the car seems "pointy" and a lot more twitchy. Also if I was not smooth when changing up to second gear both rears wheels would start spinning, even in a straight line

The car is VERY stiffly set up at the moment, I would guess that this doesn't help, but has anyone got any advice on what PSI I should be running?

The car in question is a 155bhp live axle cross flow with a Quaife ATB LSD

Oh, and all the above tyre pressure were measured cold.

Thanks,

Joe

Edited by - joseph on 24 May 2005 13:28:45

• Support Team

When I moved from A021Rs to A048Rs the car became much more of a handful. The sidewalls of the A048R are quite stiff and make the ride much bumpier. I got so fed up with the car trying to spit me off the road that I had the bump steer measured and dialled out and at the same time gave the car a bit of toe-in. The toe-in has transformed the car on the road and I haven't noticed any big downside on track. You could get this checked - Caterhams are often set up with the wheels parallel or even with a bit of toe-out to give excellent turn in on track but this can translate to tramlining and handling issues on bumpy roads

I put about 17psi cold in my 48s and this seems to work fine on road and track giving me about 20-21psi when hot. Some people have mentioned that they are very sensitive to pressure so you could try reducing the pressure slightly (0.5 psi at a time) but if you go too low the tyres could move around on the wheels giving you a different set of problems.

My car is also set up quite stiffly with a greeen (18mm) ARB on the front. I plan to move to an adjustable ARB and a Freestyle spring and damper package as soon as possible.

Yellow SL *cool* #32

Edited by - Shaun_E on 24 May 2005 14:23:46

Other than tyre wear, what are the problems of running to low?

When I was running 12psi the car seemed much better than it is now, I know it's not a good thing for them to be that low, but why? They never got THAT hot when the pressure was that low.

Joe

• Support Team

With really low tyre pressures (and I don't know how low) the tyre could flex rather a lot and "squirm" on the wheel. This would make the handling a bit vague - the front might not turn in very positively and the back could move around a bit - would feel a bit like lots of roll on the suspension I guess. In the extreme I suppose the tyre could even come off the rim although I doubt that would happen. On a hot dry day or on track they would almost certainly overheat.

Most people seem happy with around 17psi cold but as I said, you could try lowering a bit at a time until you find a reasonable compromise. I guess you need to look at the rest of the setup on the car. I would definitely get your toe-in checked as that could make all the difference.

Yellow SL *cool* #32

I had my 48's at 18psi and were fine once I'd sorted the front suspension and REMOVED the rear ARB.

I think nearly everone runs at 18psi.

Joe, 12 is too low. You'll get the tyre too hot on long runs and the side walls will "melt" - end of tyre.

However, are you sure the gauges are correct?

Norman Verona, 1989 BDR 220bhp, Reg: B16BDR, Mem No 2166, the full story here

Norman, I know 12psi was FAR to low which is why I changed to 17psi, its just it seems alot more "skippy". I checked the tyre pressure with someone else’s gauge and it confirms that it was correct.

I left am exam yesterday morning, feeling stressed, looked outside, blue sky, so completely spare of the moment decision me and a friend drove down to Nottingham and picked up my car to take it for a spin. 11 hours later in the small hours of this morning we got back to Nottingham and tucked it up in the garage.

I now have a big pile of receipts for super unleaded! Worth every penny though.

I gave you a call yesterday, I was going to see if you wanted to take it for a spin over snake to see what you thought, but I couldn’t get hold of you. I'm sure there will be another time though *smile*

Car was great all day though, took some friends out for spin, they all thought it was great *thumbup*

My next technical question is how do you stop the face cramp from grinning like this 😬 all day?

Joe