Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Starter motor. Which one

Beelzebub

It's worth while taking the starter actuating wire & placing it directly on the battery. If the starter works then you don't have a problem with the starter. Even if you've fitted the " relay mod" it's worth doing this as your by now year old relay may have started to fail (just as the relay did in the MFRU originally). So treat the relay as a consumable & replace when necessary.

Myles.

I recieved my starter a couple of days after ordering it from Brise. It's fitted to the car & is a huge improvement in terms of cranking power on the old (Magnetti Marelli) unit.

I had to grind a small amount from the block to get the unit to fit. No biggy as it was from a redundand piece of the casting. I had to replace the thick cable to the starter as the existing one was short by about 9 inches, ( a proper nine inches *tongue* )as the terminals on the Brise are at the front & underneath. I also had to use some new bolts, which from memory were M10 by 32s.

The CNC'd adaptor is substantial. I've drilled & tapped this to take a heatshield which I'm hoping along with the lagging on the primaries will help prevent heat related failure of the new unit. I'd send you a picture but to be honest there is'nt a lot to see apart from the heatshield.

Dave.

Tim.

Very usefull, as I'm going to insulate my oil tank shortly.

However I was wary of using a "wrap" on the starter as I only wanted to stop radiated heat from getting in & did'nt want to stop heat from getting out. Hence I've left an air gap between the starter & heatshield *cool*

D.

I have been trying to find some material I saw on Tomorrows world a few years ago. It was heat resistant and designed for firefighting, even with a blow torch on it the other side was cool to a bare hand. Seems like ideal heatshield material but I can't remember what it was called.

Tim

Fggingsngingsngsrsshnnsshsh *mad*

Still, I've just swapped my FIA switch for the one Trevor sold me - there was a hint that my old one might be a bit dodgy and wasn't helping starting - so now I'll be able to test it over the w/e in isolation.

Fggingsngingsngsrsshnnsshsh *wink*

Project Scope-Creep is live...

Alcester Racing 7's Equipe - 🙆🏻

Alcester-Racing-Sevens.com