Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Heavy steering woes

DSL

Having been become rarther dispondant with the set up services received from a couple of places, I have now with the aid of a pal & the appropriate equipment, set the camber & tracking up properly on my R400. However I have now got mega heavy steering on Acb10s any ideas?

• Area Representative

Heavy steering - sounds like too much castor.

Paul Richards

Joint AO - L.A.D.S. (Lancashire and District Sevens)

Growing old is compulsory - Growing up is optional

The castor is as built by Caterham from new & I believe to adjust it requires the changing of washer positions on the lower wishbones. At the moment it looks like it has 1 washer then the front wishbone mount then two washers & at the rear wishbone mount two in front & two behind. What do you do to make it lighter?

Your post implies that the steering wasn't heavy before and you haven't changed the castor so I wouldn't have thought it would be that. Standard setting in the manual is 2-2-2 IIRC. Moving the bottom wishbone back by washer rearrangement will remove self centring effect/lighten the weighting up of the steering.

You did set the tracking last didn't you? Camber adjustment does change the toe setting so it needs to be done last.

Ian

Green and Silver Roadsport 😬

Yep did the tracking last of all, now have excellent front end grip but loads of self centering & very heavy steering. The car was origionally on Cr500s but have changed dedion ears & front camber to suit the Acb10s & finally have the promissed extra grip but at the cost of steering weight.

Are you sure it's not just extra grip building up the weight of the steering under cornering forces?

In which case, dialling out castor would reduce the extent to which the steering weights up in a corner. It will reduce self centring effect though.

Are you running a really small steering wheel which exaggerates the situation?

Ian

Steering weight is felt as soon as you deviate from straight ahead & self centre is toooooo strong now! Steering wheel is standard momo jobie as fitted . Less self centre would be great how to do it?

Just been to look at my set up. My steering is heavy and at the front I have 1 washer then 3, and the back 1 washer then 2 .

It make the steering feel heavy at slow speeds (parking ect) I have not found it a problem on track.

taken fron CC web

The angle of lean away from vertical when looking at the side of the car is known as the caster angle. Castor can be adjusted by moving the lower front wishbones forwards (more castor) or backwards (less castor), with wishbone spacing shims. The more castor present on the car, the more camber change will be seen on the front wheels when they are steered (steer-camber). This camber change helps to cancel out the undesirable camber associated with the body rolling to the outside when cornering (tending to positive on the outside wheels, negative on the inside wheels). This steer-camber effect allows less static camber angle to be employed for cornering purposes. This leads to maximum footprint size for good braking performance. The main effect you will feel from changing the castor angle will be through the steering wheel. Increasing the castor angle will make the steering feel heavier and greater self-centring force will be present.

I would give it a go and see what it is like under race conditions. In class 3 IIRC Rob runs 2-2-2 Adrian has v.light steering and not 2-2-2.

Hope this helps

David

Manual shows 2-2-2 i.e. 2 washers behind front bush of wishbone 2 in front of rear bush and 2 behind.

Less castor needs the bottom wishbone to move towards the back of the car so you need to rearrange the washers. Options are effectively 1-3-1 or 0-4-0 assuming your car is at the nominal factory setting.

Castor also effectively inclines the wheel in the camber plane as more lock is wound with the reduction in 'apparent camber' you may feel the need for more static camber to compensate for dialling out castor. If you need to visualise, it's the effect that makes the front wheels of Merc saloons and the like 'lean' over a lot when on full lock even with relatively modest camber settings.

Ian