Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Updated New engine starting woes - now desperate

Racingshoe

Having difficulty getting my new engine to fire.

Using battery from tintop, engine cranks ok, light on emerald goes green to show crank rotation recognised, then goes back to red. Is this ok ? I've had the engine fire and idle a week or so ago, but had to cure a coolant leak. Now i'm all set, I can't get the thing to fire at all....

I've checked for sparks etc etc, but not sure where to go next.... May need some help on this if anyone is available on an evening this week. 🤔 *thumbup*

Now desperate as Emerald appointment on June 3rd and need to run it in yet !!

See latest post...

Rik Robarts - bl**dy bright orange 1900k here

Edited by - Racingshoe on 23 May 2005 16:15:11

Battery is not really a problem - the diesel tintop has an enormous one. Looks like I must figure out why I detect engine rotation, then not.... maybe crank sensor ? This is wierd because it has run before....

Rik

Just tried my 1900 for the first time. I spun it on the starter without plugs in and it spun nice and freely. However, with the plugs now fitted, the compression is resulting the starter struggling to turn the engine at all ☹️. After about half a dozen attempts it was turning so slowly that it was never going to fire.

I assume this is normal for a freshly built engine on a caterham (Banner) battery?

Looks like I need to get the jump leads out. Can I run jump leads off my tin-top (Impreza) with the tin-top engine running? This should help as I'll be supplying 14v rather than 12v to the seven, and the tin-top battery is quite knackered so I don't want to kill it (just managed to coax it through last winter, although the alarm kept beeping at me on starting indicating a weak battery). Obviously don't want to risk damaging the impreza ecu or alternator.

Dave

Can you attach a laptop to the Emerald whilst you are trying to start it?

If you can then go to the live readings screen and see if the revs reading is fairly constant whilst turning the engine over on the starter.

If it is then the ECU is seeing the crank position sensor OK.

If it's not and it's bouncing around then either the crank position sensor wires are reversed or the pick up pattern setting is wrong.

Oh and have you got the sensor wiring connectors on the right sensors? IIRC the blue connector goes to the crank position sensor, it can apparently get mixed up with one of the other (Inlet temp?) sensor connectors very easily.

Edited by - Grim Reaper on 22 May 2005 19:00:09

Thanks guys. I've double-checked my wiring, and it is correct. Luckily I got a labelling machine before I pulled everything apart over the winter, to avoid mistakes.

I agree that it looks like the trigger pattern, but my emerald is one of the early 16-bit versions and I can't see that setting anywhere in the software. Am I missing something (don't say a 32-bit M3DK !!) ?

Ta

PS - Dave M - Use the tintop battery - it's the only way to get the thing going for the fist time.

Rik, on the 32bit versions it's under Setup (on the top tabs) then ECU configuration and Main trigger..Pattern.

You would need to count the number of holes or missing teeth in the flywheel pattern and match it up.

It may be that it's reset to a default pattern for some reason.

The laptop connected whilst trying to start it is the best way to tell if it's getting the right signals.

I speak from experience.I had a bugger of a time getting my engine started the first time.

And to reiterate someone elses post, can you hear the fuel pump priming when you turn the ignition on?

If not then it may be that the fuel rollover switch has been activated or a wire is off/fuse blown in the fuel pump circuit.

Edited by - Grim Reaper on 22 May 2005 23:24:06

I've double-checked the crank sensor wiring and it's ok. Fuel pump primes, and injectors are blowing fuel.

Can't get the damn thing to fire. Now desperate to get it working as I have an Emerald appointment in less than 2 weeks.

I'll send it away to a garage and pay to get it running now..... anywhere in the Bristol area recommended ? Would Millwood be able to bugger around with it ?

Took out the flywheel sensor, and gave it a good clean. Emerald green light is constant now which is encouraging. Almost had it firing/catching last night, but was running out of kick on the tintop battery. I think I either need a tow, or some mega jump-leads. Getting very anxious now as I don't have a lot of time left.

No did not work out as Rik was held up by traffic ☹️ so by the time he got home it was a little late to start annoying the neighbours.

He has jump leads & I think he may try & start her up this morning. *thumbup*

*thumbup* GrannY OrB TuneR *thumbup*

😳 Tweaker Of Fine Granny Orbs ! 😳

*biggrin* Superlight No: 170 *biggrin*