Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Exhaust VW Beetle style chirp

My car had it's maiden journey today to the mid staffs meet and back. All seems fine and the engine feels very nice - so much more drivable than the old one and the throttle response is much quicker - but I noticed a chirping note to the exhaust. This seems to be much more noticable when everything's hot and absent when it's all cold. The exhaust system is a custom made 4-2-1 system

Any ideas what this might be due to?

only time I've ever had something like that was when I was running on 2 cylinders and the fuel from the non-sparking cylinders was burning in the cat. It turned out to be due to a soggy emerald, which, due to its soggy status, thought that the ambient air-temperature was 127 deg C.

Not sure this is any help at all, but I often find that people imparting information that they thing is relevant but possibly not helpful can end up being useful to the recipient in ways the imparter hadn't thought of IYSWIM (I'll shut up now...)

Personally being as I have no technical idea what the problem could be have only one option to suggest.....

..that you do have a beetle engine in your 7...and were tricked by a fancy cam cover that it's a JPE spec Vx *tongue*

at least being air cooled you can now ditch the rad *wink*

The name's Puff, Powder Puff

N7XTC

I had a chirp in my Sunbeam Alpine -irregular, not every rev.

Thought nothing of it until it siezed *thumbdown*

Turned out to be one of the carbs was very rich, and unburned fuel was washing all the oil from the bore.

Probably not the same deal, but 'chirp' it did!

Paul

Alex,

My first Caterham used to give a chirping sound when at idle it was due to the primary pipes being a poor fit within the collector. I packed the collector with thin strips of ali forced in with a screw driver and hammer. To find out if this is your problem try putting side pressure on the primaries where they enter the collector useing a big screw driver or tyre lever the chirping should stop.

My latest car clucks like a chicken and this is due to running with a sealed engine, the dry sump scavenge causes a partial vacuum within the engine.

I hope its something simple, your due a bit of good luck this time.

Rob

My latest car clucks like a chicken and this is due to running with a sealed engine, the dry sump scavenge causes a partial vacuum within the engine

Yeah, got the clucking sound as well 😳 see my thread here Dry sump, sealed engine.

D.