Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Bullet Cam - NOW SORTED

oldbutnotslow

OK Ive got the Camera....... a Cannon MV750i with the required AV in socket

I want to get a bullet cam and microphone

Ive looked at RF concepts and ........... Im lost!

I done searches and read the posts ........... Im lost!

Ive looked on E-Bay and there are loads of them on there but ........... Im lost!

Ive looked at Myles site but ........... Im lost!

Ive looked at Angus and Tessa's site and .......... I am still lost!

Given that my current understanding is zilch will some one please point me in the right direction.

I want to use the camera on track days many of which will be wet so I guess I need something that is weather proof or waterproof?

Some days will be poorer light so I will need a camera that will be useful in lower light.

Im not that kinky that I need 0 light to take footage!!

I dont want arty black and white so I guess colour is needed

OK from now on I need help.

How much from where and what spec for the camera Mic etc?

Not a clue

Grant

Black and stone chip.

*smile*

here

Edited by - oldbutnotslow on 19 May 2005 18:12:23

Erm, you've looked at my site and you're *lost* *eek*

Holy-cow!

It mentions the model-number I chose on my site - it *is* a low-light capable model, but I'm not 100% sure you need it. Having said that, it has worked very well in wet and murky conditions, so you might as well stump up the extra £20 (or whatever it was) for the 'insurance' it gives you.

As for the mic - I'm happy enough with the £12 one they throw into their kit packages - it is powered from the same source as the bullet-cam (so no extra batteries or switches to worry about) and it is super-sensitive (I had problems with Angus&Tessa's camcorder add-on mic because it was waaaay too quiet - and there's s*d all you can do about it except in software). You'll need to wrap the mic up in foam and bury it away from the wind (and anything that rattles around), but you can see the results on the club DVD part deux...

So that's the 21CWSHRX PAL here with your choice of accessories and mic here

You might like to get an optional wide-angle lens (2.9mm) and a power-cord so that you can wire it into the car.

Project Scope-Creep is live...

Alcester Racing 7's Equipe - 🙆🏻

Alcester-Racing-Sevens.com

You can get everything you need, including the camera recommended by Myles, from RF by buying package 4 in PAL format with 4.3 mm lens from here.

AFAIK thats what I borrowed from Nifty weekend and if you've watched my dvd you'll get an idea of the sound quality of the standard mic, personally I dont like it but I've got nothing else to compare it to.

Are you not planning on borrowing one now ? Drop me an email tomorrow if you need some more info (i'm in meetings all day so it may be a while before I can reply)

One last thought - does you camera have a LANC socket ? if so you can use a lanc controller to stop and start it (you'll have to buy this seperately, e.g from here) Without Lanc you either have to start and stop the camcorder before and after every session, or put it where you can operate it while driving

Edited to say the same lanc controller is for sale on the same RF webpage as the kits, near the bottom of the page. Pack 5 also looks interesting as it has a higher resolution camera although the quality of the normal one is very good anyway

Nick

Red and Black 1.6K supersport

visit Carrotland.co.uk

Edited by - Nick Woods on 18 May 2005 22:16:05

*cool* It took me ages to find it though, their website is pretty poorly laid out.

On the subject of Lanc controllers, ISTR Martin Woodham having problems with several of them but I'm not sure which ones. Some camcorders also seem fussier than others with regards to what controllers they will work with (I have a sony and it works fine with the Keen unit). You might need an extension lead for it though - the one I borrowed was the Keene one and with the camcorder in the rear of the boot (ie tywrapped to the rollbar mounts) the cable only just reached the middle of the transmission tunnel. If I'd put the camcorder near the front of the boot it would have been ok though.

Nick

visit Carrotland.co.uk

ref Nick's comments, I'm on my third lanc controller - first two were Jessops own and another no-brand thing.

As far as I can see which is best depends on how your camcorder works with a bullet cam.

With my camcorder - sony dcr-40 - you can't record directly from the usual red button if you're using a bullet cam. You have to go through a couple of menus on the touch screen, to put it into 'use bullet cam' mode.

This means that if the camera supsends for any reason (run from the car and you turn the ignition off, run on batteries and the power saver kicks in), it comes out of bullet cam mode and reverts to using the lens in the camcorder itself - so when you hit record on the lanc, it ignores the bullet cam and films your footwell/ passenger seat/ boot instead.

I've now got a skytools remote (http://www.skytools.m.se/cameyesport.htm) and its brilliant. (and about the same price as a crap lanc). I have no idea how it works, but there's a button and an LED - long press to switch camera on/ off, quick press to record/ pause, LED gives you red/ green/ amber to tell you what it's up to. That's it, it just works. Camera can suspend all it likes and when you hit the button, it wakes up again and goes straight into bullet cam mode.

If anyone wants a try with the Jessops one I'll happily bung it in the post....

Martin

Roadsports B

If everything's under control you're going too slow (Emmerson Fittipaldi)

Pat, you are correct, I just found the Canon product spec page for the 750i here and it says Lanc = no

FWIW i have a Sony TRV20 and the Keen lanc controller appeared to work ok with it, including powering down and up again whenever i pressed the correct button. I guess it just reinforces what I said earlier about some camcorders working better with some Lanc than with others

Nick

visit Carrotland.co.uk

• Support Team

*thumbup* for the CamEyeSport LANC with a Sony camera - used it at Cadwell for the first time and it was excellent. My only criticism is that the lead could do with being a bit longer, but you can get an extension.

I wouldn't get a wide angle lens - the std 4.3mm lens is plenty wide angle enough (a bit too much IMHO). I have an 8mm lens to try someday.

Yellow SL *cool* #32

I'll second Shaun's wide angle comments. Plus you have to screw the lens in to get the focus right, which is very tricky if done on the camcorder screen - it looks ok but then it's blurry when you put it on a proper tv.

Best to hook the camera straight to the tv and focus it from there.

Martin

Roadsports B

If everything's under control you're going too slow (Emmerson Fittipaldi)

OK I’ve just ordered the Kit 4 so I will now sit back and wait to have fun. *wink*

Whilst it does not have a Lanc controller input, the infrared remote control can be used to start and stop recording in bullet cam mode so no problem *idea*. I now just need to make a padded box up to take the camera etc and sort out the lashing needed to fix down in a spot that the remote can see the camera input.

Thank you to all concerned. *thumbup*

Grant

Black and stone chip.

*smile*

here

Well Tim, you know what the definition of an expert is?

Yep someone that has read the next chapter in the book

So here I am at your service, just think of me as an expert, with pearls of wisdome just dripping from my lips!

SORRY MATE, NOT GOT A CLUE 😬

Grant

183 BHP of black and stone chip excitement.

*smile*

here

You need a firewire port (aka IEE1394) in your PC , most recent motherboards have them or you can buy a PCI card for a few pounds.

You'll also need a firewire cable if you dont have one, any decent PC shop should be able to sell you one.

You'll also need some capture and editing software, which is where it gets tricky as there are loads to choose from. Microsoft Movie Maker isnt great but it is free (AFAIK) and will get you started, and if you have XP on your PC its probably already installed. For 'proper' software, Adobe Premiere Elements gets a lot of good writeups and isnt hugely expensive

Nick

visit Carrotland.co.uk

My Canon MVX10i came with a USB cable too but that is only any good for transferring the stills images from the data card.

For transferring the huge amount of data that a DV recording contains, you will need a firewire connection.

I use Pinnacle Studio v9 to import, edit and export stuff form the camera to avi files (which can then be turned into DVD's with other software)