Click here if you are having website access problems ×

My car smashes Class 2 record at Curborough

Mrs Kipper

...........unfortunately it wasn't me that was driving it *eek*

Well done Robert (Kipper Jnr), a fantastic time - you always said that the car had a 62 sec lap in there someone 😬 All it needed was a decent driver.

Congrats also to Richard and Peter for coming so close - that was some competition. The timekeepers in the hut at the start line got fed up with me going in and asking for the times but it was getting a bit exciting *eek* 😬

I must say that I still don't know how Richard managed a 62.8 something (have I got this right?) straight out of the box on the first practice run on Saturday. A 'stunning' display 😳 *thumbup* 😬

On a personal note, Robert inspired me to take nearly a full second off my personal best at Curborough to get down to 64.64. I doubt whether I am going to break that PB for some time.

Kipper

Fun is not a straight line.

Edited by - Kipper on 16 May 2005 16:40:41

Stunning times by all in the top four in class 2...Looks like the rest of us are fighting for crumbs in August 😬 😬 😬

But amazing to see Robert and Peter show us that tyres aren't everything!! Still....tyres are still a good wind up 😬 😬

Dannyboy *tongue*

• Area Representative

I needed some new tyres.

My wife likes the 15" R300 wheels.

Therefore I had less to spend on tyres.

I just found some cheap tyres - I don't know what all the fuss is about 😬

Class 2 times were excellent at the top, I was most disappointed not to get near them 😬

In fact as a matter of interest, people seem to have a good idea of time's certain specs of cars should be getting round Curborough. Loath to do this, but what would be a good time for a race chassis'd early VHPD Superlight R (power guesstimate, 180bhp), on 185/60/13 CR500's all round, corner weighted, on green Roadsport race springs all round, 3.38 LSD, 6 spd, weighing in at around 545kg with half a tank ??

No pisstakes please 😬 😬 *biggrin*

Ta

Edited by - Chris__ on 16 May 2005 18:52:07

Ha! OK, hypothetically of course, a good sprint driver driving! But I'm a novice, so maybes not *wink*

Just want something to aim for for next time *smile*

3.38 it is. Used to be Richard Philips' car. Was used as a JCC car. I've got the build sheet, and it's a 3.38 from new. Read about CC using experimental diffs at the time of my car's build, (it was a CC race demo) and it does have an unusually tall 1st gear. Also has 50 litre ali fuel tank with two swirlpots and pumps, and a bizarre widetrack front wishbone set up/arb.

Chris.

Edited by - Chris__ on 16 May 2005 19:40:43

• Area Representative

Chris,

there's likley to be about three to four seconds less than your 64.33, in the car.

Yesterday, I went 6.43 seconds faster than my first visit to Curborough in May 2002 - some of that has come from the car, but I improved from 69.07 on my first visit to 65.25 in August 2003 , with minimal change to the car.

I've now got a little more power (but still less than yours) and some say my tyres (but still list 1a), which have helped me improve further.

Plus I've been there a few times and try to drive the best lines smoothly with commitment (but not always that smoothly 😳)

Chris,

My car has about 190bhp and weighs in at 540 with half a tank.

I've got a 5 speed and Yoko 048's - so similar cars.

I managed my personal best on Sunday at 60.69. There is more to come if I can get the chassis set up right to dial out some of the understeer.

Although it handled much better with half a tank than it did on vapours on Saturday!

You can be satisfied with a good debut *thumbup*

Tom

My Class 2 car is a standard 1600 Supersport. The only engine changes have been verniers courtesy of Dave Andrews and a 52mm throttle body. Chassis changes have been uprated springs (250 and 180 if I remember correctly) and flat flooring (5 years ago), Quaife ATB LSD, 4-1 exhaust. And the main change for this year, an aeroscreen and a new set of 539s.

In my first year of sprinting at Curborough, I didn't get under 70 secs. With the upgrades over the years this came down to the mid-65s last year, and now down to the mid-64s after Sunday. Not quick compared to the quick boys in Class 2, but I'm very happy with my new PB.

However, what I found out after this weekend is, regardless of the spec of the car, if you want to take 2 secs off your time..............change the driver 😬 Not a cheap upgrade (I hate to think how much he has cost me over the last 24 years *eek* 😬) but well worth it in the end.

Kipper

Fun is not a straight line.

• 2 weeks later...