Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Thermostat & fan switch.

Beelzebub

My 180bhp seems pretty happy with a 74 degC 'stat - haven't changed the fan switch because:

i) I always manually override it when I come into traffic

ii) I might get round to hooking up the Emerald to the relay to get it to kick the fan in at whatever temp I fancy anyway.

Project Scope-Creep is live...

Alcester Racing 7's Equipe - 🙆🏻

Alcester-Racing-Sevens.com

OK. It's the R500 stat & fan switch I've got in at the moment. I don’t have the luxury of an Emerald & the DTA unit doesn’t have an output for the fan relay ☹️

My concern with running at this temperature was accelerated engine wear. I have no idea if this is in fact an issue 🤔 🤔 🤔 If it isn't I'll go with what I've got.

What's the scoop 🤔

• Support Team

If it ain't broke...

There are lots of posts about running temperatures and many responses indicate a general paranoia about it. I think that the feared head gasket failures make people take a belt and braces approach which could actually result in cars running at a temperature lower than that which they were designed for. Although this is unliley to have any negative affect, I believe that in many cases the changes are unnecessary. As long as you have a radiator capable of dumping enough heat and a working thermostat and fan switch then there should be no problems. Whether your car runs at 75 degress or 85 degress is unlikely to make any difference to the engine. If the manufacturer designed it to run at an average 85 then that will be fine. Radiator capacity is the most important variable - a lower temp thermostat won't make up for an undercapacity radiator, it will just delay the inevitable!

Yellow SL *cool* #32

Mmm - I don't think the absolute temp is that critical - although there are some surprisingly low recommendations from Minister IIRC from reading their site with specific specs for each engine-type they've built for CC.

I think the range and speed of fluctuation might be more important (certainly in terms of some of the perceived HGF issues).

My 180bhp 1.8 (with std. ali rad and 78 degC stat and std. fan) was soaring as soon as you stopped moving at speed - and the standard fan couldn't keep the temps down.

With a slightly-modified 10" Pacet Fan from SVC (see my site for details) and a 74 degC stat, the temps are much more stable and vary over a fairly narrow range (72degC moving at speed to high 70s in traffic - not given it a death-test yet as we've not had the weather for it).

Project Scope-Creep is live...

Alcester Racing 7's Equipe - 🙆🏻

Alcester-Racing-Sevens.com