Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Fuel tank installation

gmdh555

Removed and refitted my fuel tank this week as part of general tinkering/tidying up. On replacement I located the tank as far down/forward as possible on the two L-shaped rails. With a fair bit of fiddling I got the retaining strap in place at the right angle and reasonably tight (too tight and it starts pulling off).

After a spirited test drive I see that the tank has moved backwards by half an inch or so, to the furthest-back position it can occupy. I suspect - haven't checked yet - that the retaining strap is not quite as tightly fitting now.

Is this the normal practice - i.e. TADTS and just see if I can get another turn or two on the retaining bolts? Or does it need doing again?

Cheers,

Gareth

Yellow and black 1.8 VX, pics here, for sale here

• Support Team

I had the same issue when re-fitting mine and I just left it at the far back position and tightened the retaining straps - hasn't moved even after a day at Cadwell. I think people put some rubber between the tank and the L shaped rails and the friction is enough to hold the tank in a more forward position. Can't see how it makes much difference but would be interested in hearing other peoples experiences.

Yellow SL *cool* #32

I think people put some rubber between the tank and the L shaped rails

Yep - I replaced the rubbers (with some cut-up inner tube) before refitting the tank. Protects against long-term abrasion I believe.

Yellow and black 1.8 VX, pics here, for sale here

Yep - I replaced the rubbers (with some cut-up inner tube) before refitting the tank. Protects against long-term abrasion I believe

Good move. I used Carpet underlay to prevent rubbing and give a good grip. Has worked a treat.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

1400 Supersport with 6 gears and clamshell wings *smile*