Click here if you are having website access problems ×

6-speed box

Richard J Darnell

When considering a gear box and it's ratios I think it makes sense to consider the power and torque characteristics of the engine you're using. I think best performance on a very high revving low torque engine is utlised using a box such as the 6 speed - It was originally designed for the 1.4k series. I've done a lot of experimenting with gear boxes and ratios and moving from a very highly tuned 1.8 lt crossflow to a similarly highly tuned 2 lt BD actually resulted in reducing the number of gears and raising the gearing to get optimum results.

Just to muddy the water even further i noticed that Quaifes sequential 6 speeder is available with either a 1:1 5th and overdrive 6th or with a 1:1 6th.

I believe the cost is around £2,900 plus the dreaded, however i would also go for a digital gear display of some sort (£150 - £300) as it's always handy to know which gear you're in wink.gif.

I find that i v rarely use 5th in my 1400k and if i had the cash to change my BGH 5-speed (long 1st) for a 6-speed i'd be vvv tempted to pay the extra for the sequential box.

I was tempted by Quaife's 6 speed sequential until I realised how heavy it was - The sequential mechanism adds about 7 kgs - plus it can't be compared to the quality of something like a Hewland and is based around a Type 9 Sierra 5 speed box. That said you get what you pay for and i'm sure they'll sell loads of them. Also if you do go this route make sure they've surmounted all initial teething problems because I know they had some.

Long live driver involvement I say !!

So can anyone tell me how the Caterham 6-speeder compares weight wise to the BGH long 1st type 9 box?

Dave, I'll admit the idea of the quaife sequential does have a touch of boy's toy about itsmile.gif but i'll be buggered if i'll pay extra for something that much heavier when i've not got any carpets or a heater due to weight savingwink.gif

Just a quick plug re Brian Hill of BGH Geartech. I wouldn't have anyone else set up my crownwheel pinions. He doesn't even use the special tool that others recommend just builders blue and a lot of commonsense. I've just taken out a 4.125 in an alloy casing after a lot of abuse on the dragstrip via an all singing and dancing 2lt BDX and its in adsolutely mint condition - Being the way he is he's asked to look at it in any event. Contact him (if you can) on 01580 714114 - I'm genuinely seriously concerned as to where to go when he 'finally' decides to retire.