Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Help me too!

Julian Bradley

You'll note the "novice" category....I have just (4 days ago) collected 4 speed 1700 live axle X flow. This makes me smile hugely, but you'll all have to foregive my ignorance.

It will not start. Although it (unusually) has a choke button, I know that the inlet manifold is so small that this is not required. But if it doesn't catch 1st or 2nd time, that's it! Clicking noise (solenoid/starter motor?. So I know that the battery is OK - even though the machine has had immobiliser fitted as a precondition of insurance. Also, engine will not idle - could this have anything to do with starting problem?

Machine lives outside (chassis and suspension well waxoiled!) under cover. Damp? Anyway, can anyone save me from the ignomony of push starts?

If you hear a 'click' and the engine won't turn over, it'll be the solenoid of the starter motor.

I used to have this problem with my 1700.

Solution is simple, although rather strange-looking to passers-by.

1) Ignition off, put the car in fourth gear.

2) From the back, push the car forwards and pull backwards a couple of times until you hear another click.

3) Start the car.

That's my guess, anyway.

Cheers, Domster

If you hear a 'click' and the engine won't turn over, it'll be the solenoid of the starter motor.

I used to have this problem with my 1700.

Re: idling... this should just be a question of altering the idle speed screw. You'll find this on the Twin 40 Weber carbs, although it is difficult to describe the position. Fiddle with this, but remember that idling speed when warm will be mich higher than when cold. If setting it when warm, adjust it to about 300 rpm higher than seems natural.

Thanks guys!

The toy is now up and running and scaring passengers.

How does the rest of the world not know how brilliant these machines are (except when you set off car alarms at 5000 rpm) ? I love admonishing looks from Mercs and Volvos. I'm sure I'll get over it soon.....counselling ought do the trick.