Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Sidescreen hinges - are they handed?

Shaun_E

• Support Team

Just got some new sidescreens as the metal frame had come throught the vinyl on my old ones. I ordered all new fixings as well since they don't cost much and the old ones are a bit scruffy, but the new hinges have a slight dome on one end. This dome will obviously not fit flush on the hinge attached to the windscreen so the hinge can really only go one way up. If that is the case then surely there shoud be RH hinges and LH hinges. I have 8 identical hinges and thing there should be 4 LH and 4 RH. Am I just going mad?

Yellow SL *cool* #32

Prepare to be *mad* *mad* *mad*

The hinges are all the same, and hence you have to put one side on upside down. hence the radius meet in the middle on one side, and the outside edges are flat - I failed SVA for this *mad* *mad* *mad* *mad* *mad*

You have to put a small grommet cut in half - as used on the bolts securing the front wheel guards - on either end.

🙆🏻

Dave

Dodge Viper Blue with Metalic Silver nose band and stripe

Membership Number 66 😬 😬

Post SVA you can take the dome off no worries, but personally I would only take it off the ones that meet in the middle, and then fabricate domes on the outside, to make all the same. The half a grommet looks clean.

Dave

Dodge Viper Blue with Metalic Silver nose band and stripe

Membership Number 66 😬 😬

• Support Team

Perfect - I'll file the dome off.

Dave - its an old car (1997) so no SVA worries. Was also going to use the old screens as a template so ideally need all the hinges to match. Thanks for your suggestions.

Yellow SL *cool* #32

Hi Dave

I'm glad you mentiond the SVA problem with the hinges - I didn't spot that one. (I wonder if the inspectors have noticed that the SVA covers for the front bonnet catches don't have a 2.5mm rad on the lower edges) Does anyone out there know of any other SVA problems like this that the build manual doesn't mention?

Thanks

Colin

I just spotted another potential SVA trap. To make the car SVA compliant with the sidescreens on you need to cover the hinge nuts on the sidescreen but to make it compliant with them off you need to cover the hinge nuts on the windscreen pillars however the kit only has one set of covers. Also, to make it compiant with the sidescreens off you need to fit an end cap to the square end of the LH hinges that are exposed with the sidescreens off - What fun!

All hinges are the same, that’s according to SL @ CC.

If your doing SVA, the you will have to cover the hinges as mentioned with the plastic covers supplied. If you are not doing SVA then I would bother messing about with the hinges.

The R300 NUT'errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

• Support Team

In the end I just used my old hinges - couldn't be 🙆🏻ed with filing the new ones. Got the new screens fitted on sunday morning and ready for a blat when I realised that the straps to keep the door shut didn't have poppers on them - guess who didn't have any spare poppers? *mad*

Yellow SL *cool* #32

• Support Team

Michael - are you in this evening? If so can I pop round and borrow some - I'm ordering them from Caterham today but would like to get the job done asap. Cheers.

Yellow SL *cool* #32