Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Lightweight Flywheels ?

Richard Price

• Area Representative

Whilst trying to spec. my 1.6K Roadsport Seven, I am looking at the Caterham Lightweight Flywheel at £180 and wondering if I should specify one of these, or one from any other source.

How light is the Caterham Lightweight Flywheel in comparison to the standard one and how much lighter could I go and at what cost?

Is a Lightweight Flywheel good value for money.

I understand that the apparent weight of the car (to the engine that is) is less and so acceleration is better in 1st gear and that this effect is reduced in each higher gear.

Also that less rotating mass and so inertia should improve gear change speed.

But, what Flywheel should I choose?

Provided you're prepared to have an engine that stalls a bit more easily from standstill (you get used to avoiding this quickly but any new drivers of your car might struggle), a lighter flywheel is preferable. Gear changes are better, especially down the box and acceleration is marginally improved. Somehow, the car feels more "alive" with a lighter flywheel. If you're planning on doing any track driving, I'd go for the lighter flywheel, but not an out and out race lightweight flywheel (which would probably require a different clutch and starter). As a rough guide, the lightest one that lets you keep the standard clutch and starter should be a good compromise.

The problem with going too light is that the car becomes very hard to drive from standstill without bags of revs and slip at either clutch or tyres. There is also the concern of it breaking which is a very real worry with some of the more extreme flywheels.

Alex

Edited by - Alex Wong on 31 Oct 2001 11:14:26

Richard, I echo our esteemed colleague, Alex's comments. End of last year I had the same decision, I stayed with the Caterham lightened f/wheel, does take a little getting used to especially in traffic but makes the engine pick up quickly at lower speed... worth spec'n a big red starter button at the same time!

Tricks

Y57 CDS "Mutley"

Be aware of what can happen to your car when lightening the flywheel too much:

http://www.seven-mania.de/rgb2001/Img_1313.jpg

But an upgraded Caterham-part should be bullet-proof, go for it.

Marius

Edited by - Marius on 31 Oct 2001 14:00:10

Edited by - Marius on 31 Oct 2001 14:00:46