Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Oil Temperature

Ozzy

What's normal for fairly brisk driving on roads? Reason I ask, is that I've recently replaced the sender, as it started to fluctuate a lot. On the old sender I never saw a reading higher than 80. With the new one it's sitting at approx 95, sometimes reaching 100 when driven hard.

As ever, all reply's much appreciated.

Oz

Still Shaking.

6 speed 1600k Supersport

(keep forgetting to tell people what it is!)

My understanding is most oils have a "best" operating temp of 80c.

I've got a dry sump an oil cooler with a thermostat and only see close to 80 on trackdays. (or when I get a clear run on the Snake)

Norman Verona, 1989 BDR 220bhp, Reg: B16BDR, Mem No 2166, the full story here

Something I forgot to mention. Had to replace the thermostat housing (new stat as well) Also replaced water temp sender at the same time. Water temp used to sit around 80, now sits around 90. Is that normal? and is this influencing oil temp? Or is new oil temp sender duff as well.

Still Shaking.

6 speed 1600k Supersport

I never see the water temp go above 80 and would be concerned if it did( the fan should be kicking in if this temp is exceeded). Oil temps can easily reach 100 deg during hard track driving.

I suspect you either have an air lock or a duff sender

MikeW

Mega Grad Race No 22

I have a fireblade, which has a heat exchanger, ie the water cools the oil, I have done a couple of thousand road miles and the oil has never gone over 80 deg however hard I thought iIwas driving it, however I did my first trackday yesterday and the oil was running at around 110 deg while on track *eek* although the water temperature was around about 80 deg, I'm not too sure about Car engined 7's but was the thermostat you fitted the same temperture type? opening temp is usually stamped into the bottom copper part of the thermostat this could infulence it... I know years ago you could buy summer and winter thermostats, but you dont seem to see this now?

'Pinky Pics' here

Never looked at the thermostat. Bought from CC, so I assume it's the right one.

The only observation I would make, is that my tin top diesel has always run at a constant 90 in all weathers.

Still Shaking.

6 speed 1600k Supersport

• Support Team

Oil temperature of 95 degrees is nothing to worry about nor in fact is water temperature that high anything to be concerned about.

I run a Stack dash and the senders are supposedly more accurate than the Caterham ones and the Caterham fan switch (another unreliable piece of kit) doesn't operate the fan until my water temp reaches nearly 100 - the fan quickly brings temperatures back down to below 90. If your fan switch isn't cutting in then get a new one - £10 from Caterham or, I think, VW.

On trackdays I had temperatures of 130 (oil) and 105 (water) and at that point decided to invest in a better radiator and a Laminova oil cooler (uses coolant system to cool oil). After that my track day temperatures were more normal with both oil and water staying below 100 degrees.

Yellow SL *cool* #32

For engines from a certain third party diesel engine supplier used at work, application sign off will be given based on 125deg C maximum continuous engine oil rail temperature (i.e. temperature after any oil cooler, not sump temperature) with 135deg C maximum permissible for intermittent duty applications ony. That's with a mineral based 10W40 CG4 oil and a 500 hour service interval so nothing special.

Ian

Green and Silver Roadsport 😬

An air lock in the coolant system won't help your cooling, but is unlikely to have a huge impact in the temperature of the oil. Water temp should never go above 90.

IMHO, oil temp is ok up to about 100 or so (depending on the grade and quality of the oil). I do let my oil temp get up to 110 on the track, but I'm not particularly comfortable about this.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

1400 Supersport with 6 gears and clamshell wings *smile*

Sorry Tom - what do you mean by "sign off".

Can I take it from your location that you have insider knowledge on this???

-----------------------------------------------------------------

1400 Supersport with 6 gears and clamshell wings *smile*