Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Manure happens..

fatcat

My business partner fell seriously sick the end of last week. Thankfully he's making a good recovery but he's going to be off work for at least a month or two. Sadly this means I've had to pull out of the opening round of the Masters in Germany - can't take the time off and even if I could, it would be highly irresponsible to indulge in an activity that has a small but significant risk of me ending up in hospital as well. Since eveything is already paid up, there's no point in canceling and anyway we need the track time to continue the refining the car's set up. So my mate Nick gets a new co-driver for this one while I sit it out in Blighty. Bollox. Good luck Graham & Nick... Press release gives the story: FENNYMORE LANDS LAST-MINUTE MASTERS DRIVE Powertrain Caterham Challenge frontrunner Graham Fennymore has sealed a last-minute deal to contest this weekend's (14/15 May) opening rounds of the Cosworth Caterham Masters. Fennymore, 40, will share a Hyperion Motorsport-run Caterham CSR 260 with freelance motorsport journalist Nick Phillips, and is looking forward to his outing at the Nürburgring in Germany: "I'm very excited, although my experience of the CSR is limited to a few laps in heavy rain at Donington and I've never even seen the Nürburgring." The deal came together when Phillips's co-driver Nigel Bent had to pull out after his business partner was taken ill suddenly. Hyperion boss Steve Hindle stepped in to pair them up: "We are disappointed that Nigel is unable to make the opening rounds but delighted that Graham will be filling his shoes. Graham will be renewing his relationship with Hyperion team manager Richard Fores - the two of them used to race against, and often beat, David Coulthard in Formula Ford." Fennymore was the 1984 Marlboro Challenge runner-up and went on to claim the 1996 British F2000 Championship. He returned to racing in a Caterham last year after a six-year break and is currently leading the Roadsport division of the Powertrain Caterham Challenge with a 100% win record. In addition to Fennymore and Phillips, Hyperion is running CSR 260s for reigning Caterham champions Luke Stevens and Jon Barnes, for Daniel Mitchell and Mike Cantillon, and for Dominic Paul and Nick Payne. Other British teams taking part are Taylor's Foundry Motor Sport with Scottish pairing Esmond Smith and Malcolm Johnstone, and Colards Motorsport, who will field a car for multiple Caterham champion Clive Richards and former Le Mans star Richard Hay. Colards will also prepare a 'solo' car for another Eurocup regular, David Knox, with Team Parker fielding veteran Philip Derby. One of the most unusual driver pairings is that of Mr and Mrs Gladman - Philip and Natasha - who will be the first husband and wife ever to contest a Caterham championship together. Ranged against the Brits will be up to a dozen cars entered by Caterham Competition France. Unveiled last October, the Caterham CSR is an all-new version of the legendary Seven sports car, featuring fully independent rear and inboard F1-style front suspension plus many chassis and aerodynamic enhancements. Power for the racing model is provided by a Cosworth-developed Ford Duratec 2.3-litre. Each of the six Cosworth Caterham Masters meetings will feature two one-hour races. Each car must make a pit visit for a set period at between one-third and two-thirds distance. Forthcoming rounds are to be held at Valencia, Oulton Park, Spa, Dijon and Monza. In addition to title sponsorship from Cosworth, the championship is backed by Comma and by Avon, which has developed bespoke wet-weather and slick tyres for the CSR and which is providing competitor assistance at each meeting. Ends Nick Carter Telephone 01530 563200 Max Communications 14 High Street Packington Ashby-de-la-Zouch Leicestershire LE65 1WH Championship website www.caterhamracing.com