Click here if you are having website access problems ×

1.8 Kseries upgrade

Nigel Hooper

Looking to up upgrade a 1.8k series from 120 bhp to 160bhp.

Does anyone know the best way to go about it? It is in a 5 year old Roadsport with a 5 speed box and standard diff.

Would the diff cope ok?

Your comments/advice would be appreciated.

*confused*

• Support Team

Caterham sell the Supersport R upgrade which is 160bhp.

DVA Power sells his K03 kit for about 160bhp

Hellier Performance will upgrade your engine to that or more.

If you search this site thoroughly you'll find 100 ways to do this but the above are the well known suppliers with proven results - there are plenty of others as well that are less talked about.

If you ever want to sell the car through Caterham then you'll have to stick with their upgrade but if you don't care about that or are going to keep the car forvever then the other routes are probably more cost effective.

Yellow SL *cool* #32

I guess a lot will depend on whether you want to continue upgrading the engine, or stop at 160Bhp. Also, are you looking for a good spread of torque or would you like a peaky engine?

Dave Andrews offers at least 2 ways of getting this power including

a) flowing the head

b) upgrading cams and ECU

The Caterham kit is induction + ecu + cams.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

1400 Supersport with 6 gears and clamshell wings *smile*

Nigel,

I've just had the Supersport R upgrade (plus lightened flywheel) done - I thought it was worthwhile going the "official" route. For the time being, I have also kept the 5 speed gearbox (the car was previously a 1.6K Roadsport).

Still running in (can't run above 5000rpm until I've done 300 miles) but car very definitely has more "oomph". Pictures of the upgrade at the link below; send me an e-mail if you want to discuss.

Stelios the Bubble *confused*

Click here for my Caterham 7 page or here for some photos

Stelios,

I recently had the Supersport-R upgrade fitted by Caterham and last week it failed the MOT on emissions ☹️ However to be fair, 1 phone call to Simon Lambert and a piece of advice later it passed ok. James Whiting did my service and sorted the MOT and all it needed was the throttles balancing with each other. Just thought you might want to know for reference.

Strange how it wasn't checked at the factory though *confused*

Graeme

Graeme, thanks.

The MoT issue has been raised on BlatChat before, and was something I specifically sought advice on from Caterham before the car went in to have the upgrade done. Interesting that yours failed relatively soon after the upgrade.

I guess it's worth taking any throttle bodied Caterham to an MoT test station that knows about such things.

Stelios the Bubble *confused*

Click here for my Caterham 7 page or here for some photos

And while your up here Hoopy, I hope you've sorted out that dash wiring of yours.... You need an extra large slap for the butchering you have done *tongue*

Emerald Isle's 1st SV 148lbft @ 6091rpm/182bhp @ 6690rpm engineered for low revs