Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

O/T Elan S4 engine replacement

Castrol

Hi,

I know there are a few Seven owners with Elans so here goes.

Just tried to refit the twin cam into my friends Elan as a single gearbox/engine unit and basically we cant ☹️. With the unit in situ with the gearbox nose in the entrance to the rear section of the tunnel and the sump resting on the chassis crossmember (vacuum tank) the gearbox selector is catching on a body section under the tunnel just in front of the gear stick hole, we cannot move the unit in any direction to clear this, even tried twisting the whole assembly but with no joy.

Is there a trick we are missing or should you install the 'box first and then attach the engine?

Regards,

Matt.

Matt

I'm afraid I'm not going to be much help here.....

I only ever had the engine out of my S3, rather than engine and gearbox. But I looked in my old workshop manual last night in an attempt to answer your question The instructions were as follows:( )

1. Attach engine to gearbox

2. Refit engine/gearbox assembly to car

3. Reconnect propshaft

4. Reconnect engine ancillaries.

Clearly it can be done......With these sort of instructions I'm just glad I didn't buy the car as a kit in 1967!!

Try asking Norman Verona.

Malcolm

Hi Matt,

I have only ever managed to refit my Elan engine with the gearbox in place, i doubt it will fit as one, If it has a Lotus chassis you will struggle to fit the prop shaft to the gearbox too. If you are lucky it will have a hole in the body on the drivers side tunnel that maches with a hole in the chassis, you should then be able to put your hand through and fit the prop.

it might be possible to fit the prop with the box in place and no engine.

Mine had a spyder space frame that made it easy but not now that its back to a lotus chassis.

Rae

New Caterham Book Here

Sorry, late again. And I can't really help other than to say I've never tried putting the 2 in together. It's fiddly to fit the engine when the gearbox is in. Looking at it I would have said it wouldn't go in as one unit.

Norman Verona, 1989 BDR 220bhp, Reg: B16BDR, Mem No 2166, the full story here

Thanks for the replies. Looks like he needs to fit it as 2 units then ☹️. We nearly had it in place but the thread sticking out of the gear selector stopped it going in. According to some S3 manuals it can be done however we suspect that some additonal GRP was added to the S4 under the transmission tunnel which means it can no longer be done.

Dobbo,

Yes we have a hole in the tunnel to fit the prop shaft, so at least that bits easy .

Thanks again,

Matt.