Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Getting Springs off Dampers

Allen Payne

It depends on the length of your springs and dampers. Since I've had my Caterham I've had 8 dampers and more than 20 different springs, all different rates and lengths.

None of these various combinations have ever needed a spring compressor to remove them. When the damper is fully extended the spring is either not under any compression at all, so you can just remove the top spring seat, or it's under such a small amount of compression that hand pressure will allow you to push the spring down and remove the spring seat. So try it, I reckon it'll come off without a compressor.

But if your particular combination of spring ands damper needs a lot of force to compress the spring then give up until you have a proper spring compressor. Trying to bodge it is a tad risky - theres a lot of force in the compressed spring.

Yep, had the same problem. 'Normal' ones don't fit between the tight coils. I ended up making some and these work fine! Sorry....... not much good to you!!!

I'm told that the cheap ones made from thin material will fit, but no-one stocked them 'cos they were deemed a tad dangerous.I was also informed that ones for a rear motorcycle shock were suitable, but they didn't know for sure.

I'm with Chelspeed on this one. When I jack up the front end of my (standard) 1.6K SS, the springs are easily moveable by hand, no compressor needed. Does this mean I've got the wrong spring/damper combination? Always seemed a bit iffy to me, but I've not got around to sorting it out yet.

Mike