Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

How too choose a poprivet ?

jackb_ms

I want to fit some dot fastener on my 21, to attach the hood cover on the boot

I'm confuse by the huge number of different type of pop one can find *confused*

2.4, 3.2, 4.0, 4.8 and 6.4mm diametre is it the diameter of the stem or the flatened head?

How do you choose the right lenght?

Can someone help me choosing the right one, by explaining what is going on?

Cheers

Jack

Emily, The Very Yellow 21

Normally given in the form of a diameter and a length - eg 3.2 x 10

The diameter is the stem - the bit going into the hole. Heads a standard size - but there are different standard sized heads available. And blind rivets. And open. Steel ones. Ali ones. Copper ones. Plastic ones.

Bri

• Area Representative

If you are fitting the standard popper bases from Caterham, you could do with a 4mm pop rivet but with a small head.

If you use the standard ones from B&Q/Homebase, when you are complimenting yourself on doing a cracking job of replacing all the popper bases and come to fit the cover, you will find that the heads for the normal sized rivets do not recess into the popper base and they interfere ( 😳) with the female section on the cover!

Either get the rivets from Caterham (only a few pence each) or turn the heads on the B&Q etc. ones down a little with a file to make sure they sit correctly in the popper base. I tried to buy some from Stoneleigh last weekend and no-one had any at all. ☹️

HTH

Nick

Now the Orange HPC - A 2.0 VX - 😬

Easy wayt to turn them down as and when needed is to stick 'em in an electric drill and apply the file - stop before you go to far!

Now is propably not the time to mention I'm chucking few thousand perfectly good rivets in 3.2 and 5.5 diameter, in a couple of lengths, with a couple of different head sizes.

When I say "few thousand" - probably 10-12 boxes of 500 ea of the two sizes . . .

And similar numbers of M8x25 HHS, plated, M5's, M6's, M10's, M12's not quite so many M16's and similar numbers of nuts.

Couple of thousands 3" long self-drilling big head screws - and plastic cover caps - used to secure panels to steel structures.

10 boxes of 10 tubes of paintable, non-silicon, sealant - good stuff - expensive!

Free to any seveners who will come and collect in the next week or so . . .

Bri

(just check my current location before you get too excited)

Hi Bri

Might be interested in the sealant and some 3.2mm rivet the longer one 😬

Could you check what would be the cost of postage?

Cabn arrange to have them pickup if the price is too high

Cheers

Jack

Emily, The Very Yellow 21

Believe me - the postage is too high!

It's killing me - as anyone who know's me will tell you, I hate slinging things that might come in handy - to have to sling all this stuff I KNOW will come in handy . . . but there's only so much crap you can stick in a suitcase . .

Bri