Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

De Dion driveshaft seal replacement. ANY IDEAS?????

BrianHorn

Hi guys, I need some guiding light here.

I'm renewing the driveshaft seals on the car and have a couple of questions.

Reading the 'Restoration' book doesn't give much detail on seal replacement but does say 'position of seals must be accurately measured' so that the new ones can be positioned in exactly the same place *confused*

Question 1. Don't the seals 'seat' against anything when fitted?

Also there is a 'castellated' ring around the driveshaft entry point which looks like it can be removed.

Question 2. Does this not house the seal? I have also 'O' rings here which I believe go behind the 'castellated' ring.

Question 3. What's the best way to remove the 'old' seals without damaging the area where they fit? (Apart from getting someone else to do it) 😬

All pointers gratefully received.

Edited by - BrianHorn on 7 May 2005 09:25:34

Hi Mike, no, it's not the gaitors/boots to which I refer. It's the seals inside the differential through which the driveshafts pass and keep the transmission fluid in. You can't see them until the 'shafts are drawn out.

Brian,

The seals are simply pressed into the castellated flanges. Easy to remove with oil seal puller or drill a 2-3mm hole in the seal and pull it out with a self tapping screw or hooked bit of welding rod or coat hanger. When replacing the seal it is important to tap the seal in square to depth of 13mm. I made a tool out of some 50mm ABS waste pipe cut to 13mm and tapped it in until it was flush. The oil seals are available from Ford or a good motor factor. also worth checking that you have no scratches on the portion of the driveshaft that runs within the seal . These can be removed with some fine emery paper and finish with autosol polish. Any deep horizontal scratch will wreck your new seal in no time it will also leak oil from day one.

No need to move the castellated flanges as these do indeed alter the crown wheel and pinion mesh. The o rings you refer to provide the seal between the castellated flange and the diff casing. only required if you strip the diff.

Rob

Edited by - Rob Walker on 7 May 2005 18:04:56

Rob, thanks for that *thumbup*

There is a 'polished' ring around the circumference of the driveshaft where it has run in the seal. Should this be polished/sanded out with some very fine emery/wet&dry?

Would overfilling the diff' cause the seals to leak and if so how can I check the quantity I put in if I can't drain the diff in the first place in situ *confused*

I've got the seals ordered with a local Ford dealer and they should arrive today. Hopefully.

About €10 each I think.

Brian,

A witness mark on the drive shaft from the seal contact is normal no need to polish out its only scratches that need attention.

Overfilling the diff should not make the seals leak, oil will be expelled from the breather. The level is checked by removal of the plug to the back access cover. I f you have way too much in oil will pour out when you withdraw the driveshaft.

• 3 weeks later...