Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Tin Top Throttle Delay - Getting rid of it!

RobM

I've just bought a BMW 330ci and the car has exceeded expectations - truly wonderful as a daily drive.

The car does have one fault though - as with all modern cars that I've driven (bar Nobles, Elises, Caterhams etc) - it has a delay on the throttle (see my other post).

Does anyone know of any way that this can be removed from a car - preferably retaining the car's warranty? I am about to write to BMW as it really is exceedingly annoying.

thanks.

- How can such a cute looking car sound so ferocious! -

Just OOI, is it throttle by wire, or do you have a good old fashioned throttle cable?

I sympathise with your plight, but have a nagging suspicion that the manufacturers have engineered out the throttle response, because Joe Average finds it 'jerky'.

I'm fairly sure that it would be fly by wire with a delay like that. This is a very common trait in modern fly by wire throttle cars. It may not matter to Joe Average in his front wheel drive transport, but if you enjoy your driving and like to use the throttle to balance and feel the car it is infuriating! Nothing that I tried came close to the 330ci though, so I'm keeping it!

I think this delay is built in to allow the ECU time to calculate the new fuelling demand more accurately. Thereby reducing the chance of over or under fuelling during acceleration and thus reducing the engine emmisions.

It seems to be a feature of any new car that meets the EU Euro4 emmisions regs.

Justin *cool*

A closed mouth gathers no foot.

Thanks. I spoke to BMW this morning (they're getting back to me), and will look in EVO and contact various tuners. *thumbup* I certainly don't want to chip the car to increase performance, but if they could just get rid of the throttle delay that'd be great!

I have measured the delay now: If you tap your foot at about 140bpm you accelerate on the '3' and the engine responds on the '4'. That makes the delay about 0.4 of a second.

> That makes the delay about 0.4 of a second.

Which OOI is the default value for the menu cascade delay on Windows. Doesn't sound like a lot but feels like a lifetime, and it's one of the first thing I change if I'm going to use a Windows install regularly.

Rob, how about being too skint to afford a car new enough to be EU4? *smile*

the Mini Needs it :-) colleague has one of those things.. Bone Stock tho .. the performance is errrr.. "underwhelming" to say the least... and I used to race an 'S' back in '71,'72. . so I nurse an affection for anything Mini.

I certainly don't envy anyone who has bought a 'New' mini... likely more reliable (what wouldn't be :-).. But thrilling?.. Not a hope.

Lotsa babble, little substancen IMHO.

The opposition has a Cooper convertible. Girl's car, but then she is a girl. It does not have sparkling acceleration and the throttle response is not super but it does have a certain perkiness. It seems to want to be driven and goes round corners well.