Click here if you are having website access problems ×

What is my gearbox?

TonyB

I am trying to find out whether my gearbox is a "105E" or 116E", how can you tell the difference? My car is a 1963 SII Super

Seven (left hand drive) imported new into the US to a dealer in Texas. I believe the car originally had a 109E engine. It now

has a 116E but I don't know if the box is original other than it appears to be a close ratio one.

The box has the Triumph remote fitted and fits correctly in the center tunel of the car. On page E13 of the Seven Owners

Manual it shows a 105 E box with the Triumph remote and page E14 shows a 116E box also with what also appears to be a

Triumph remote. From other threads it seems that the Triumph remote wasn't fitted to the 116E box, is this true?

If it helps at all, there are a couple of pictures of my gearbox (105E or 116E????) at

http://www.batesfamily.net/Lotus/Andbox.html

Regards

Tony Bates

SB 1761 - 1963 SII Super Seven

Thanks to all, the box case is amooth so I guess it's a 105E box. Re the mounting being "upside down", it is the way it is shown in the manual and I don't believe it can go on the other way round? Anyway, the engine etc are now fitted in the car so it'll have to stay that way round.

Tony

The remote you have doesn't look like the Ford one which was one piece (fitted to the MK1 Cortine GT and Corsair GT cars).

Ratios of the GT box

1st 3.543

2nd 2.396

3rd 1.412

4th 1.0

Rev 3.963

I can confirm that the 105E box did not have synchromesh on 1st gear

The car in front is a Westfie1d wink.gif