Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Removal of charcoal cannister

Dave McCulloch

As I won't need the charcoal cannister with my new engine (throttle bodies, hence nowhere to connect cannister to), I'm planning on removing it and applying the fuel tank vent mod recommended by Caterham for the racers. However, if/when I put the standard 1600 SS engine back in, will it run happily without the cannister fitted (obviously I'll need to block off the inlet to the plenum)? Presumably the purge valve connector in the loom would just be taped up out of the way.

Thanks

Dave

Dave,

as I am sure you know the charcoal cannister is there to trap any fumes expelled from the tank whilst the car is parked/not running.

Removing the cannister and purge valve and taping the electrical connector up out of the way is fine. It won't make any difference to either of your engines.

Justin *cool*

A closed mouth gathers no foot.

The cannister is part of the SHED emission test requirement and allows vapour to trapped and sucked into the intake. If you return the car to its original state - for sale etc - you would be advised to put the cannister back into circuit but it won't make a bit of difference to the engine performance

Thanks

The reason for asking is that if I strip it out completely I don't really want to have to put it back again in the future if/when I return the car to standard for sale. Various model year K series don't seem to have a charcoal cannister at all, and my car was registered in May 1998 so is exempt from the MoT cat test. I'm not aware they test for "SHED", and I doubt the average MoT tester would have a clue whether a Caterham should have a cannister or not.

Might just remove it anyway...

Dave