Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Sticky illegal number plates

pfreeman

I have put a number of front plates on & tried sticking them, they keep falling off. My new motorbike style one is bolted, much better & looks great. I got mine from Les Smiths in Fleet, but I am sure all the other will do them. You can specify size of plate & letters.

Geoff

You don't have to go to a motorbike shop to get these plates. Most car spares shops can do them (A1 Motor stores - or AIMS- definitely do them). They can't do them while you wait (like they can with car size plates), but they can order them for you (only takes a day or 2 usually).

Cheers

Son of an A1 Motor Store owner

Edited by - buroz on 26 Apr 2000 14:23:18

Any good motor factor should be able to supply you with a blank sticky base and letters/numbers for you to add yourself. This has the added advantage over the small motorbike-style plate in being even lighter, thereby reducing understeer and improving the power-to-weight ratio.

As to their legality, I've been stopped a couple of times in cars with stick-on plates (Caterham and Midget), and have had no aggro. Mind you, the policeman didn't notice that the exhaust of the Midget had fallen off and was lying in the boot of the car.

Cheers

Aidan

Aidan Parte

aidan.parte@virgin.net

Before my Caterham, I had another similar type of car which shall not be mentioned. About 5 years ago I was stopped by a plod on foot, who stepped out in front of me & flagged me down, cos he thought I had no front number plate. He apologised when he saw the stick-on plate on the bonnet & let me go on my way. So it must have been legal back then. Don't know if the law has changed since.

Mike

Sorry but no. They are and have been for a long time, illegal. Front plates must be of the regulation size for cars and not the smaller motorcycle size. For cars after 1972 they must be of reflective backgrounds. Finally, the damming aspect for stick on plates is that they must be vertically mounted and so fully readable from the front.

If you choose to go down the route of an illegal plate you run the risk of incurring the wrath of plod, but fortunately most seem to be open minded enough to overlook any transgression. I suppose you could have problems at MOT time but I never have and I use a stick on.......and me an ex-cop as well!!!!

I too went down this route of which plate etc. After chatting with other owners who had been stopped for the small motorcycle type I plumped for the stick-on one.These are available fom the various branches of Les Smith Autofactors.The advantages are that 1) The letters/numbers are regulation size. 2)The bit about vertical plates (to be strictly legal) is 'overcome' because when standing alongside the car the plate is very legible and being a low car sort of compesates! 3) I don't keep kicking it with my foot/toolbox/trolley jack etc. 4)Less wind resistance.

All of this is useless of course if you get stopped by the Bill for the 0-60 dash in the 40 zone!!!!!

If using the stick-on one make sure you warm the plate with a hairdryer to enable the plate to cope with the double curvature.Also, two pairs of hands can help to stop it sticking before its positioned correctly.The use of a needle to 'pop' the small blisters is useful too.

That is good advice about warming the plate, using a needle and enlisting some help. It comes a bit late for me, though, as I made a bit of a dog's breakfast of mine - see the cover of Low Flying from March 1999. The car still looks great, though.

Aidan

Thanks to everyone for there tips and advice, I'm going to go for the stick on so I'll have to try and find a hairdryer to do the job properly !!!

If you ever see the car, it's R500 SPL, so have a look at the front number plate and see what you think !!!

Cheers,

Paul.

Thanks to everyone for there tips and advice, I'm going to go for the stick on so I'll have to try and find a hairdryer to do the job properly !!!

If you ever see the car, it's R500 SPL, so have a look at the front number plate and see what you think !!!

Cheers,

Paul.

I found a full-size adhesive number plate at a motor spares place in Elephant & Castle last year. Not only was it properly reflective - it was kite-marked as well.

I have not had any problems (Police, MOT etc.) since. The hairdrier tip is good, but I understand even better results are obtained if you use warm, soapy water: wet the nose thoroughly, slide plate into place, squeegee out water, leave to dry.

Jonathan