Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Ear plugs vs noise cancelling headphones.

shn7

Having come home with ringing in my ears after a 3 hour blat at the weekend I'm now considering options for further noise reduction. I was wearing some polyurethane (I think) ear plugs as well as my CC beanie so need to improve on this.

Seen some nice looking Sony noise cancelling earphones here which look pretty good. Anyone here tried them?

I believe these can be used either plugged into a walkman/mp3 player kind of thing or standalone which is more likely for as I'm not fussed about listening to music whilst blatting.

Any others I should look at or should I simply get some much better ear plugs?

Steve.

Ear defenders...... Yup the noise cancelling jobbies work a treat..... Not sure about in a high wind, i'll give them a go some time soon and post again. The best part about them is at the lights you could crank up one of the ears and hear all that the passers by are whispering on the road side about your motor......

They act as sound amplifiers if you turn them up, still not letting anything damaging in, but you can hear with something like an old radio quality sound.....from miles away !!!!! Great for over-hearing secrets !!!!! *cool*

Mine plug into nothing, as i use them for the fraiiitfully non PC activity of shooting fluffy animals !!!! (i do eat them !) 😬

One thing to remember is that sound can enter your ears externally despite plugging up the holes in your ears, hence ear defenders covering the surrounding area. Something you notice when you shoot larger calibre pistols like I used to and it's most noticeable if you forget to put them on!

Tim

No doubt about it - one of the best pieces of kit i've bought for the 7 is the autocom system. You can still hear the sound of the engine, albeit quieter and have a decent conversation. Compatible with phone,mp3 player and car to car/pit radio.........excellent! Not cheap but whats money compared to your hearing?

i tryed a set of noise canceling headphones and they basically gave up and said enough. the noise of the car just overwhelmed them Also the wind going over the mikes which they use to work out what noise to cancel sent them bananas.

There is industrial noise canceling ear defenders that might cope.

i use a set of peltor ear defenders that are fine for motorways and they keep your ears warm.

The disposable ear plugs are okay but i have never made friends with them. i have never tryed the custom made ear plugs but i have heard good things about them.

In my work i come across rather noisey bits of kit ( 75,000bhp diesels) and i have found the top of the range peltor ear defenders about the best i have tryed.

Sod the heater wheres my shades

I have a common problem with the Autocom cans - I aeroscreen (all the time) and so wear Wileys (except when it's wet, in which case the helmet comes out...)

The trouble is that the arms of the Wileys don't let the cans seal to your head properly - so they aren't as effective as they should be.

Project Scope-Creep is live...

Alcester Racing 7's Equipe - 🙆🏻

Alcester-Racing-Sevens.com

Looks like maybe I'll go for some Etymotic ER20's. As I said in the original post I'm not fussed about listening to music so the ER4's are OTT on function and price.

(Martin W, Met with Tim L tonight who tells me he's been in touch. I expect he'll be making a booking v. soon after our chat.)

Steve.